MP4 videos play in black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 videos play in black

The I try to play an MP4, the slider, etc. show up as they should. Audio is present and correct. But the video screen space is black. I installed the plug-ins and the K-Lite standard package. Before I used K-Lite I got the go to fourcc.org message. Now, as described, everything works except the screen is black. Now what?
    There are days when I amaze even me. And there days when I look for my phone while I'm using it.

See this earlier thread.

Try changing your options in Settings, Video/Sound
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Maybe try changing the output pixel format in LAV Filters, leaving checkmarks only on RGB32. YUV formats, with conversion in the OS or GPU, are possibly problematic, and the potential performance gain is small. Instead of using IrfanView, try watching in Media Player Classic, and try different Output modes in its settings: system default, VMR7, madVR, etc. You need to reopen a video for these changes to take effect. A real video player will always have more options exposed, and have more appropropriate defaults.

As far as I gather, the above components belong to the K-Lite pack.

Comment

First - I'm working with V4.53 (tried unsuccessfully to revise profile accordingly)

Second, yes, I'm using an NVIDIA board (GeForce GTX 1060), albeit the on-board video board that came with my HP Omen laptop. The drivers are whatever HP, Microsoft, and/or NVIDIA say I should use - changes are not user's choice. I occasionally use a remote screen via HDMI (effectively no added displays). Irfanview aside, there are no video playback problems, even when editing (Resolve 15).

Third, I can duplicate the "second Irfanview iteration shows video"work-around.

Now the bad news:
        Resizing the window doesn't rescale, etc. the content.
        MP4 4K playback is unusable - image jerks - and no slider control displayed. By comparison, MPC-HC (64-bit), updated to 1.6.8.9, handles this as it should - no lurching, full audio.
        That said... After running MPC-HC, the Irfanview playback now matches the MPC-HC playback. Even with MPC-HC closed. And the video slider is present.

All of the above says MPC-HC loads a driver(??) that Irfanview needs for 4K playback.

Now, all of that being said, I haven't clue one about LAV, YUV, etc. All I know for sure is Irfanview has a problem with my NVIDIA board. I still need to open two Irfanview screens to see one video, period. Something at least cleans up 4K playback. I have the Irfanview plug-ins, and the K-Lite standard kit.

Is there a fix that doesn't require understanding the fine points of drivers and colors?

Using Irfanview for video playback isn't mission-critical, but having video playback work correctly seems like a good idea.
        There are days when I amaze even me. And there days when I look for my phone while I'm using it.

Comment

Check this out https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=11939

Comment

Working...
          X