8bf Support in 64-bit version???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8bf Support in 64-bit version???

I cannot find an entry here addressing this, so I apologize in advance for asking the question.

How in the heck does one add an 8bf plugin to the 64-bit version of Irfanview. I can add 32-bit plugins to the 32-bit version of Irfanview, but I can't add 64-bit plugins there and I can't seem to add anything to the 64-bit version of Irfanview. Is there a secret handshake or gesture I'm failing to perform? It's very frustrating. For instance, I can't access the DxO version of the NIK Collection plugins anywhere. HELP!!!!
    May the Lord Bless Your Steps

Tom ('Mas) Pickering
    info@photopicks.net
    Servant to the King <)><

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
    • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64 (only 32-bit 8BF files/effects can be used)
    • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
      • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
      • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
      • Needs less disc space
      • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
      • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64 (only 32-bit 8BF files/effects can be used)
      • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
      So, you're saying their is no real 8bf support for the 64-bit version of Irfanview? If the 32-bit version of Irfanview won't run 64-bit plugins, will I ever be able to use those plugins with Irfanview? Irfanview is so complete in so many ways for many things that this is very disappointing. d:¬{(

Tom ('Mas) Pickering
      info@photopicks.net
      Servant to the King <)><

Comment

Never say "never," but if you're into serious photo-editing why not use a photo-editor, not an image viewer?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I do use a photo editor. I am an advanced Photoshop user but there are plenty of occasions where I don't want to launch Photoshop to do something simple, which Irfanview is ideal for. Alas, we can't have everything we want - where would we put it all! d;¬{D

Tom ('Mas) Pickering
          info@photopicks.net
          Servant to the King <)><

Comment

I only have five "installed" and rarely use them, but these do work fine with 64-bit IrfanView:

AdaptiveContrastCurve.8bf
            AdaptiveHistogramEQ.8bf
            FineUSMSharpen_x64.8bf ‎
            UltimateHueSaturation_x64.8bf ‎
            VHRUnsharpMask_x64.8bf ‎

Edit: Harry's filters 4.10 also work. It looks that many filters have got 64-bit versions.
            Last edited by Jacal; 06.06.2019, 12:47 PM.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
              I only have five "installed" and rarely use them, but these do work fine with 64-bit IrfanView:

AdaptiveContrastCurve.8bf
              AdaptiveHistogramEQ.8bf
              FineUSMSharpen_x64.8bf ‎
              UltimateHueSaturation_x64.8bf ‎
              VHRUnsharpMask_x64.8bf ‎

Edit: Harry's filters 4.10 also work. It looks that many filters have got 64-bit versions.
              Awesome! This gives me hope. I wonder what's different about these plugins.

Tom ('Mas) Pickering
              info@photopicks.net
              Servant to the King <)><

Comment

(I'm not familiar with the subject, so don't take my words too seriously.)

Some old 8bf plugins work in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64 via the 32-bit plugin loader (Stub_Plugin.exe). One can find 4 samples in the Plugins\Plugins32\Adobe 8BF subdirectory. (I use Smartcurve.8bf when I need a curve tool.) Some other might work, but many, probably most, will fail.

On the net, you can find plugins, (re)written to work with 64-bit programs (some mentioned in my previous post). I would expect the number of 64-bit plugins to be growing, since 32-bit image editors are obsolete for many reasons.

Having the last - i.e. quite old - Google's Nik Collection installed on my modest laptop (I'm away from home), I can only add it's 32-bit 8bf plugins to IrfanView-64. I found Viveza 2 to actually work, while two others have freezed IrfanView.

Be well!

Edit: I see that even the 64-bit filters, that work, trigger the 32-bit loader, so there still seem to be no native support for 64-bit 8bf filters in IrfanView.
                Last edited by Jacal; 07.06.2019, 12:03 PM.
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                X