Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need IrfanView to Release Calling GUI After Opening

Greetings All,

I call IrfanView from a Python script which sends the launch command along with the filename.png to open via Windows 10 command prompt. IrfanView opens displaying the filename.png graphics file just fine. But it does not release the GUI so that it can be use to launch another instance. The GUI becomes hung and cannot be closed. Closing IrfanView restores the GUI access. Other graphics viewers such as 123 Viewer, ImageGlass, Windows 10 Photo Viewer and Libre Office do not lock up the calling GUI and allow multiple view instances. But I would prefer to use IrfanView.

Is there a setting or some command line option that I can use to open the IrfanView window and then have it release the calling GUI so that it can be used to open another IrfanView window to allow the viewing of multiple windows at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!

Best Regards,
    tma

Maybe that you have set IrfanView to only allow one instance. In the menu go to Options > Properties/Settings > Start / Exit options.
    In the middle of that window you will find the setting to allow more than one instance.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Greetings Kuki,

Thanks for the suggestion but it is not checked. To confirm I opened more than one graphics file when I open from the Windows start menu. But when started from a Python GUI the GUI becomes crippled until the IrfanView window is closed. Thus I cannot use the GUI to view a second graph. But I can do this with other viewers such as 123 Photo Viewer and others as mentioned above.

Best Regards,

Comment

Hi tma,
        I'm sorry I could not help. Since other picture viewers don't cause the lock it probably is not a problem of Python. If no one else here has a tip for you
        it is my suggestion to write to the the author of IrfanView. Goto 'Help > About IrfanView' for his mail address. If you get a solution, please post it here.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Working...
        X