IrfanVew icon missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanVew icon missing

IrfanView 64-bit has been installed on my Windows 10 laptop. I want to create an IrfanView icon on my desk top. However, I cannot find the directory where it is installed. Could someone please tell me the name of the directory where it is installed and how to create a directory for it?

Thanks

spruce18b

The executable is usually in: C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view64.exe

Right-click that file and send a shortcut to the desktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Create Shortcut.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	83291
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

With any shortcut to the .exe all you should have to do to change its desktop display icon is right click and select Properties. The option button to change the icon is there and you can browse to any location. The only criteria necessary for doing that is it must be an .ico format image.

Personally I've disliked the squashed/masked cat icons for as long as I've used IRFV (I know I'm not alone) and have replaced it with one of the other included icons found in the IRFV plugins folder: Slideshow. You can change the Start Menu icon in the same way but what it won't change is the "Opens With" context menu icon and some other places the IRFV is icon is used.

For that you need to permanently change the embed icon set using a tool called Resource Hacker. It is not a tool I'd recommend to a beginner.

Comment

I don't think the question was about changing the icon, just creating a desktop shortcut.

It is surprising that after so many years, and a lot of complaints about the dead cat icon, that no improvement has been made to the icons that look like they date from Windows 3.1.

If you delete the path in "Look for icons in this file," Windows will replace it with the path to Shell32.dll, which contains some half decent icons. I chose the Butterfly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Icon.png
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	83292Click image for larger version

Name:	IrfanView Icons.png
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	83293
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I did misunderstand the OP and assumed he wanted to create his own icon for the desktop shortcut but the information in my last post should still be useful.

The simplest way of creating that shortcut if, for some strange reason, spruce18b can not find the IRFV program folder would be to bring up the Start Menu> All Programs (or whatever it is called by Windows 10) and simply copy the IRFV entry there. It is not the the actual program, or should not be unless somebody has done something weird with the install, it is simply another shortcut.

All you need to do is copy/paste it onto the desktop.

You can also use that Start Menu IRFV shortcut to find the program's location and probably quicker than actually using the Windows Search option. Just right click the shortcut and chose Properties then select the "Open File Location" button. That will take you straight to the IRFV program folder.

However it is odd that he can not find the program folder. Is it possible that he doesn't have admin rights on the computer he's using? If IRFV is installed for all users to use he might not have the necessary account permission to access its actual program files.

Comment

AFAIK: If you install IV via appstore instead of downloading it from a decent website, it will not be installed to the 'ususal' folder.
            The OP did not mention how he got IV installed, so pointing to the 'ususal' program folder might not help him/her.
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Wherever the program is actually installed he must be launching it from somewhere, presumably the Start Menu or whatever Win10 calls that now.

If this is the case then he should still be able to do what I said and just copy the Start Menu shortcut and paste that on the desktop.

Comment

IrfanVew icon missing

This reply is from the initial poster:

The reply from the member named Kuki Dent is correct.

Ifan has been installed into an inaccessible directory which is invisible when the search routine for the name "i_view64.exe" is executed. When I navigated with the commands,

Options>Set file associations>Miscellaneous I discovered that the executable is

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\30067IrfanSkiljanIrfanVie.IrfanV iew64_4.5.2.0_x64__psgec73n2n7ne\i_view64.exe

I can place the icon with the splattered cat on the task bar and the desktop but when I click on it I see the message,"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the aproppriate permissions to access the item".

Maybe this happened because I used a Microsoft Web site to download Irfan when the Irfan Web site failed to download it. I remember that Microsoft warned me that the transaction cost $0.00.

How can I ensure that Irfan will be installed into an accessible location on my C: drive?

Thanks

spruce18b

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
                Wherever the program is actually installed he must be launching it from somewhere, presumably the Start Menu or whatever Win10 calls that now.

If this is the case then he should still be able to do what I said and just copy the Start Menu shortcut and paste that on the desktop.

Comment

Download IrfanView and the plugins from the author's website. When you install it, select the options that you need to create shortcuts and desktop icons.

Comment

Sounded like typical MS stupidity/arrogance to me; installing something to WindowsApps then not allowing you to create a desktop shortcut ie. you must launch it from the WindowsApps and you're not allowed access to the folder.

So I did a bit of research and indeed it is very similar to what I suggested earlier ie. that spruce18b does not have the permissions to access the WindowsApps folder but this is the case for all users apparently unless they have altered the permissions themselves. It is a common complaint.

There are tools to do this but personally I would not use them, in this case I'd follow the second option in this guide here to Get Access to WindowsApps Folder in Windows 10 Manually to reclaim permissions for that whole folder.

Of course Bhikkhu Pesala advice is the best solution; download from the author's web site direct and then choose yourself where it is installed. If I remember correctly you'll get a desktop icon by default anyway.
                    Last edited by BadRobot2018; 16.06.2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X