Match background height to text height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Match background height to text height

When adding text to an image, I used to find that the height of the background colour would auto-adjust to the height of the text if the outline it was going into was larger than necessary. That is what still happens with the width of the text, but now the colour fills the outline from top to bottom. Not a big thing, but it can involve a number of small adjustments to get the good-looking result that used to arrive automatically.

I can't see any setting that might revert to the way it used to work, and would appreciate any help.

I am unable to reproduce the problem here. Do you have extra carriage returns in your text?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No. Typically I'm using short single lines of text and if I make the outline height bigger than needed then the background colour stretches to fill it. As I said, if the width is too much, automatically the colour adjust to match the length of the line. There is actually a setting to place the text (and background) at right, left or centre but I can't see any choices for vertical placement.

Comment

There is no choice for vertical position. Text starts from the top of the selection.

This is how it looks here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Add Overlay Text.png
Views:	1
Size:	569 Bytes
ID:	83296

Or, with fit background to text, it looks like this:

Name:	Text Background.png
Size:	482 Bytes
ID:	83297
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.06.2019, 08:02 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Name:	text.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	83298

If I draw a big outline this is what I get with 3 different text sizes. I was wrong - the background doesn't expand to fill the whole outline height. But it appears to be double what is needed, unlike your examples. That's how it used to work for me, and I'd like to get it back.

But I can deal with it and I'll have a look at the paint suggestion.

Thank you for the reply.

Comment

It looks to me like you have a carriage return after the line of text, but it might also be that the chosen font has an unusually large default line-spacing.

Comment

Definitely no carriage return but - problem solved! I just updated IV to 4.53 and the background colour now fits the text height. Just as it used to.

Many thanks for your replies.

Comment

Working...
              X