Changing Background color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Changing Background color

I'm not experienced using forums so please excuse any faux pas.

I've looked everywhere in the program, searched the forum and read all FAQ's but I don't find an answer.

I've just upgraded to 4.1 but I've used Irfanview for years. In the versions before 4.0, I could easily change the background color for a psd or psp file that I was saving as a jpg. For the entire time I've had 4.0, I have periodically rechecked for something I missed but I still can't get the background to save as anything but black! I checked with 4.1 .... same problem.

What am I missing??

I hope I've been clear. Hoping you can help.
    yeahbut

Hi,

welcome to the forum

If you want to change the background for the IrfanView window (you can only change that kind of background !) you have to do that:

1. Open IrfanView

2. Press key "p" (For the settings dialog)

3. Click on the tab "Viewing"

4. Then you can change the main window color (Click on the "Choose" button)

steve

Comment

Hi steve,
      I just wrote a tome and the system ate it.

Okay, how bout this...can I change the default color (black) that Irfanview uses for "save as". NOT the viewing window. And I'm not trying to edit with Irfanview, for that, I use Photoshop or Paintshop...I just want to be able to save a psp or psd file as a jpg with the original background color NOT black! Imagine your avatar on black, or worse...my black angel on black. If you're saying I can only effect the viewing window color...RATZ!! That really limits my use of Irfanview for conversion.

In any event, thanks very much for your time.
      yeahbut

Comment

If the viewing colour is black when you open an image with a transparent background the background will be black. If you change the viewing colour to white, it will be white. So you can open a transparent image and save it as a JPG (no transparency permitted) with any colour background you want. Of course, you could save as PNG and retain the transparency.

If the original is not transparent, then save as PNG first, with transparency, then change the viewing colour, reopen (file menu, reopen), and save a JPG with your chosen colour.

Otherwise, open the IrfanPaint plugin (F12), and use the floodfill tool. Note that this has no tolerance. The background must be a uniform colour for it to flood fill. JPG images may look like they have a uniform background colour, but they rarely do.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's It!!!

Wow! Beautiful. Honestly, Bhikkhu, I don't know how you understood what I was trying do. But you did!! Thank you ... it will save me hours of work AND allow me to stay in Irfanview without resorting to other cumbersome programs.

Hugs (really)
          yeahbut

Comment

I'd like to bring this up in case anyone else is looking for this solution, as I was. This thread did resolve my issue but note the following: you have to re-open the image in IrfanView before the changed viewing color correctly goes into effect. (at least on this version)

I was recently dealing with an image with a transparent background, and as stated by Bhikkhu Pesala, its background was coming up black. Changing the viewing color would immediately change only the surrounding background, not the background of the image itself. However, once the same image was opened in another instance of IrfanView, the new background color was implemented everywhere. Until I discovered this, I spent a few minutes thinking something was wrong.

Comment

I have done and tried all the above but although most png files now display correctly a few insist on displaying their transparency as black. Is this a particular type of png? It (or they) do not appear to be anything special.

Comment

Attach one to the forum is the quickest way to find out what the issue is.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think you are probably being confused by the two options for displaying PNG images in Irfanview.

The first image below is an Irfanview screenshot of an original image that shows the letters PNG in red on a black background. Irfanview has been set with a pale grey background colour that surrounds the image.
                  I saved the image as a PNG with black selected as the transparent color. That is the 2nd image below. The background colour of the forum is white, so you see the letters on white.
                  The 3rd image is an Irfanview screen shot with the first option in the Viewing tab of Properties/Settings Checked. The black area from the original is transparent so the grey Irfanview background is seen where that area was.
                  The 4th image is a screen shot with the option Unchecked. The black area is now visible again, just as it was in the original image.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	81135 Click image for larger version

Name:	PNG transparent.png
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	81136 Click image for larger version

Name:	Checked .png
Size:	99.3 KB