Unable to open jpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Unable to open jpg

I viewed a jpg that was on my desktop using Irfanview. I then used my cursor to move the jpg into a folder containing other jpg's.
    But when I try to open the jpg in Irfanview I get a message saying 'can't read header' or file not found. The other jpgs in the folder open in Irfanview ok.
    Also I am unable to return the jpg to the desktop as I 'don't have permissions'.
    Anyone know how I can retrieve and view this jpg again?
    Thanks.
    http://www.angelfire.com/trek/nz_usa

Can you still open the JPG just using Windows Photo Viewer or another graphics program?

If you can not the JPG may be damaged.

Try renaming the JPG to something short and simple - sometimes downloaded JPGs from Google or Bing images sources have stupidly long IDs and therefore a long path which, it has been reported in the past, IrfanView does not like. That folder path issue may explain why you could view it on the desktop but not now because it is inside a number of other sub-folders.

Should that not work right mouse click and chose Properties and see what it says there about the file. Check particularly Security to see if your particular account has full permissions in regard to image.
    Last edited by BadRobot2018; 26.07.2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've since found several other jpg's that cannot now be opened. It looks like it's because I don't have 'permissions'. Don't know why that's happened.
      I'm not sure how I can get 'permission' back again.

Comment

If you have admin rights on the computer, the JPGs are yours and haven't had any specific permissions added to prevent others viewing them then this is a bit odd. In your original post did you move the JPGs to a folder which had limited permission rights which might have been applied to the contents?

I'd right click on the troublesome JPGs then use Properties > Security tab to check what permissions attached in relation to your User account and, assuming you have admin rights.

Users account control will probably show only "Read & execute" and "Read" ticked.
        Administrators account for the specific PC should have all but "Special Permissions" ticked.
        Authenticated Users should show everything but "Full Control" and "Special Permissions" ticked.
        SYSTEM be the same as Administrators.

On my PC every image type appears to use the same set of permissions and the only differences I've found is that some images do not include Authenticated Users amongst the Group with permissions.

So if there is any variation other than that in the permissions attached to the problem JPGs from those ^ then this could be the problem.

If it is a permissions issue then this MS thread might useful:-

Last edited by BadRobot2018; 17.08.2019, 02:57 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Thanks for the reply Badrobot.
          Finally fixed it. in properties/Security/change properties/edit/Add
          I added 'Everyone' then checked all the permissions.
          The jpg's open now. Don't know why they suddenly went 'rogue' though.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to read you have fixed it - definitely still a strange problem with no obvious explanation.

Comment

Working...
            X