Skipping already compressed JPG files on batch processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipping already compressed JPG files on batch processing

Hello, I use IrfanView batch processing feature and it works great. Though, sometimes I forget which images I compressed. Is there a way to detect if the image to be processed has a compression quality at 80 (which I use) or less, and skip those images?

Thanks for the great program.
    Last edited by tinera; 31.07.2019, 10:48 AM.

No.

The JPG Save option "Try to save with original JPG quality (estimation)" will be the best option to use because images compressed with a lower value than 80 will be saved with minimal corruption, but those image that are direct from a camera will have an estimated save quality of 95 or more.

You can easily identify the original camera images if you sort by file size, but that's only useful if the images are all the same pixel dimensions.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      No.

The JPG Save option "Try to save with original JPG quality (estimation)" will be the best option to use because images compressed with a lower value than 80 will be saved with minimal corruption, but those image that are direct from a camera will have an estimated save quality of 95 or more.

You can easily identify the original camera images if you sort by file size, but that's only useful if the images are all the same pixel dimensions.
      Thanks for the information, Bhikkhu Pesala. Sadly, the images are not all from cameras. My issue is that I have been accumulating images over the years. Sometimes I use the batch processing feature to lower their sizes. Though, right now I do not know which ones I compressed (my fault). I have noticed (after testing) that the compression / quality value can be easily acquired from images. I have used the online tool here:

Determine the quality level of JPG image online, with which has been compressed and saved JPEG file.

It works perfectly. So, I am thinking IrfanView can do the same and provide a means for skipping if the value is <= given value. If this is doable on IrfanView, I guess I can request it as a feature right.

Regards.

Comment

Better start a new thread in the Feature Request section.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X