Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"How do you want to open this file?" dialog keep showing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How do you want to open this file?" dialog keep showing!

Is it just me or happens to others as well?

The "How do you want to open this file?" dialog keep showing on Windows 10 even IV was set as default app and
    all picture extensions are set to IV as well.

The dialog keep showing even after the "Always use this app to open .xxx files" ticked!

Please help!

Run i_view32.exe (or i_view64.exe) as an Adminstrator to set file associations within IrfanView; Settings, Extensions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Run as Administrator.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	83311

Check that IrfanView is set as the default Photo Viewer in Windows Settings, and then verify that is also set as the default application for opening the desired file types by clicking on "Choose default apps by file type."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	83312
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Run i_view32.exe (or i_view64.exe) as an Adminstrator to set file associations within IrfanView; Settings, Extensions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5624[/ATTACH]

Check that IrfanView is set as the default Photo Viewer in Windows Settings, and then verify that is also set as the default application for opening the desired file types by clicking on "Choose default apps by file type."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5625[/ATTACH]
      I did all of you have mentioned, but keep happening.

If i set the default picture viewer as the default app it won't happen, only with IV.

By the way i am using IV 4.53 64bit, which cannot be selected in the profile!
      Last edited by -=LTi=-; 01.08.2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I recommend using the 32-bit version as your default, and use the 64-bit version only for large images, e.g. RAW Camera files.

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
        • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
        • Needs less disc space
        • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
        • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatibility mode in IrfanView-64
        • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)

Edit your forum signature to add your version there. The site code needs updating with every version release, so the Site Admin often does not get around to doing it promptly, if at all.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X