No announcement yet.

WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says. I cannot reproduce the issue.

Make sure that you tell him your OS, and whether you installed the Windows App version of IrfanView, or the regular download from his website.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says. I cannot reproduce the issue.

Make sure that you tell him your OS, and whether you installed the Windows App version of IrfanView, or the regular download from his website.
      I think I have my drag and drop issue resolved and wanted to follow up with my findings so others might benefit if they are still having drag and drop issues.

In my case, it apparently was a Windows permissions issue.

When I initially installed IV, I followed the instructions in the FAQ for installing under the program files directory. At some point, either I added a full control permission on the IrfanView folder for my user id (possibly testing for an issue I previously had years ago) or permissions were somehow inherited from another folder that gave my user id full control. Also, under compatibility tab, IrfanView.exe was found to be set to run as administrator. That appears to be a permissions conflict problem when permissions are set for full control on the IV folder AND run as admin is checked in compatiblity tab for Irfanview.exe. When I UNchecked run as admin on the compatibility tab for Irfanview.exe, drag and drop seems to have started working correctly again. I know there are some reported issues with running programs under the Program Files directory, so I reinstalled IV directly under my D:\ root folder. I left the permissions as previous (full control on IV folder with my user id and compatibility set to run as admin on IV.exe). Drag and drop doesn't work. UNchecking run as admin under the compatibility mode allowed drag and drop to start working again. Additionally, I also removed my full user id permissions for the IV folder and leaving the run as admin UNchecked on the compatibilty tab of IV.exe, drag and drop now works as intended. I also did this same testing with the older version 4.42 and got similar results. In any event, it looks like I might have the drag and drop issue on my machine sorted out for now even though I'm certainly no expert on windows permissions/conflicts.

In summary, the following appears to have fixed my drag and drop issue with Irfanview.

1. Remove User ID permission (i.e. "JohnDoe (MYCOMPUTER\JohnDoe)" from the IV folder and Irfanviewexe file. (Leave other permissions [Authenicated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators, Users] as is).

2. Ensure Run As Administrator is UNchecked under the compatibility tab of irfanview.exe

I just wanted to follow up with you as requested to let you know what I discovered and to thank everyone for your comments.

Comment

n3306tx, thank you for your testing and sharing the result. I had never dared to assume that admin privileges for an application would interfere with
        its Drag 'n Drop abilities. This did not only solve the D&D problem with IrfanView, but also with other applications. So it seems to be a problem of Windows.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by n3306tx View Post
          I think I have my drag and drop issue resolved and wanted to follow up with my findings so others might benefit if they are still having drag and drop issues.

In my case, it apparently was a Windows permissions issue.

When I initially installed IV, I followed the instructions in the FAQ for installing under the program files directory. At some point, either I added a full control permission on the IrfanView folder for my user id (possibly testing for an issue I previously had years ago) or permissions were somehow inherited from another folder that gave my user id full control. Also, under compatibility tab, IrfanView.exe was found to be set to run as administrator. That appears to be a permissions conflict problem when permissions are set for full control on the IV folder AND run as admin is checked in compatiblity tab for Irfanview.exe. When I UNchecked run as admin on the compatibility tab for Irfanview.exe, drag and drop seems to have started working correctly again. I know there are some reported issues with running programs under the Program Files directory, so I reinstalled IV directly under my D:\ root folder. I left the permissions as previous (full control on IV folder with my user id and compatibility set to run as admin on IV.exe). Drag and drop doesn't work. UNchecking run as admin under the compatibility mode allowed drag and drop to start working again. Additionally, I also removed my full user id permissions for the IV folder and leaving the run as admin UNchecked on the compatibilty tab of IV.exe, drag and drop now works as intended. I also did this same testing with the older version 4.42 and got similar results. In any event, it looks like I might have the drag and drop issue on my machine sorted out for now even though I'm certainly no expert on windows permissions/conflicts.

In summary, the following appears to have fixed my drag and drop issue with Irfanview.

1. Remove User ID permission (i.e. "JohnDoe (MYCOMPUTER\JohnDoe)" from the IV folder and Irfanviewexe file. (Leave other permissions [Authenicated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators, Users] as is).

2. Ensure Run As Administrator is UNchecked under the compatibility tab of irfanview.exe

I just wanted to follow up with you as requested to let you know what I discovered and to thank everyone for your comments.
          Sorry but I didn't understand a single word here.
          I don't know who marked this thread as solved but it's not for me until someone posts clear and proven instructions.
          Run as Admin is already unchecked for my installation but still have the same issue.

It's not because the problem is fixed for someone here that it is considered as Solved for the OP.
          Last edited by dsl25; 09.03.2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Have you changed the permissions for the main IrfanView folder (Properties > Security Tab) and the main IrfanView .EXE in the same way, as suggested? Not sure why you need to change both as sub-folders/files are usually set to inherit permissions from the parent folder. But if that is the fix recommended then that is what you have to do.

It seems like a damned weird solution; why removing IrfanView permissions for the User account should be necessary for everything to work correctly I cannot even guess at.

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
              Have you changed the permissions for the main IrfanView folder (Properties > Security Tab) and the main IrfanView .EXE in the same way, as suggested? Not sure why you need to change both as sub-folders/files are usually set to inherit permissions from the parent folder. But if that is the fix recommended then that is what you have to do.

It seems like a damned weird solution; why removing IrfanView permissions for the User account should be necessary for everything to work correctly I cannot even guess at.
              Thanks for the clarification.
              I managed to find those settings but only needed to remove this permission at folder level as the .exe file was correctly set after that.
              Please note that I also had to remove inheritance of permissions in order to be able to remove this one and that unchecking "run as admin" was not needed in my case as already set that way.

Finally SOLVED and many thanks to n3306tx for sharing this solution!
              Last edited by dsl25; 10.03.2020, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dsl25 View Post
                Yes that was my case. I finally found out that this was happening because I'm using an old version of Total Commander and never use Win File Explorer.
                It works with File Explorer and also with more recent versions of Total Commander.
                have been using irfanview for 10-15 years, win10 for as long as it's been available. problem started a few days ago -- no drag and drop onto irfanview.
                i've gone so far as to reinstall the OS, knowledgeably tinkered with the registry , and the problem remains.
                unlike others here, my drag and drop fails from file explorer, doublecommander, and freecommander. however, each of those will drag/drop that same file onto the windows desktop, or into other windows apps like wordpad. killing and restarting explorer does no good. and, because i just refreshed my OS, i know it's not a corrupt explorer.exe ...

am open to other possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by travelgirl View Post
                  am open to other possibilities.
                  Use the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer instead of Windows Explorer.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    Use the IrfanView Thumbnail Viewer instead of Windows Explorer.
                    Instead, I went looking for a version that doesn't have the problem -- 4.35 . At the moment, it does everything i want, and doesn't have anything i've yet noticed that annoys me. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind when circumstances change

Comment

Working...
                    X