Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

  1. #11

    Default

    It is good to know you've sorted out the specific IrfanView D&D problem but that was/is clearly not at the root of the trouble. It is a another Win10 issue and the fact is it's still recurring years after first being reported and the suggested fixes do not always work is shameful. But it is not something that this IrfanView forum can help resolve is it?

  2. #12
    Multiple User Kuki Dent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany, Lower Saxony
    Posts
    245
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    My 2 cent:
    IrfanView 4.54/32: D&D doesn't work from any file manager, be it Windows Explorer, IDosWin or FreeCommander, but it works when I find the images with Everything.
    However, D&D to an empty CPix window works from all.
    Seems to be an issue between IfranView and current Windows versions.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.02.2020 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

  3. #13
    IV Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    12
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    No such issue here. I can D&D from Windows Explorer to the Batch, Slideshow, or Panorama Image dialogues.

    Are you perhaps using an alternative file manager?

    Your Windows build is not quite up to date, but I doubt if that is the issue.

    Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.657 • IrfanView 4.54 64-bit and 32-bit
    No, I am not using an alternate file explorer. I running the latest update that Window 10 has offered me. I have also (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine. Thanks for your help.

  4. #14
    IV Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    12
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    I'm surprised that, yet again, some people seem not to have tried a little bit of Googling or research using their preferred search engine before posting here about a problem that might not be an Irfanview one.

    It took me 30 seconds to find out that trouble with drag & drop has long been reported (2016 onwards) about Windows 10 and the solution that appears to fix it in many cases.

    The cause is unclear but the solution apparently most likely to work is restarting Windows Explorer. The method is described on various web sites including the MS Community one.
    I have (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine.

  5. #15
    IV Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    12
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n3306tx View Post
    No, I am not using an alternate file explorer. I running the latest update that Window 10 has offered me. I have also (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine. Thanks for your help.
    Update: I also removed the i_view64.ini file, rebooted, and started IV 4.54. Same issue, no drag and drop. Again, reinstalling an older version (in my case ver. 4.42 64-bit), all drag and drop functions work just fine. Thanks.

  6. #16
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,438
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says. I cannot reproduce the issue.

    Make sure that you tell him your OS, and whether you installed the Windows App version of IrfanView, or the regular download from his website.

  7. #17
    IV Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    12
    OS
    64-bit Win 10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says. I cannot reproduce the issue.

    Make sure that you tell him your OS, and whether you installed the Windows App version of IrfanView, or the regular download from his website.
    I think I have my drag and drop issue resolved and wanted to follow up with my findings so others might benefit if they are still having drag and drop issues.

    In my case, it apparently was a Windows permissions issue.

    When I initially installed IV, I followed the instructions in the FAQ for installing under the program files directory. At some point, either I added a full control permission on the IrfanView folder for my user id (possibly testing for an issue I previously had years ago) or permissions were somehow inherited from another folder that gave my user id full control. Also, under compatibility tab, IrfanView.exe was found to be set to run as administrator. That appears to be a permissions conflict problem when permissions are set for full control on the IV folder AND run as admin is checked in compatiblity tab for Irfanview.exe. When I UNchecked run as admin on the compatibility tab for Irfanview.exe, drag and drop seems to have started working correctly again. I know there are some reported issues with running programs under the Program Files directory, so I reinstalled IV directly under my D:\ root folder. I left the permissions as previous (full control on IV folder with my user id and compatibility set to run as admin on IV.exe). Drag and drop doesn't work. UNchecking run as admin under the compatibility mode allowed drag and drop to start working again. Additionally, I also removed my full user id permissions for the IV folder and leaving the run as admin UNchecked on the compatibilty tab of IV.exe, drag and drop now works as intended. I also did this same testing with the older version 4.42 and got similar results. In any event, it looks like I might have the drag and drop issue on my machine sorted out for now even though I'm certainly no expert on windows permissions/conflicts.

    In summary, the following appears to have fixed my drag and drop issue with Irfanview.

    1. Remove User ID permission (i.e. "JohnDoe (MYCOMPUTER\JohnDoe)" from the IV folder and Irfanviewexe file. (Leave other permissions [Authenicated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators, Users] as is).

    2. Ensure Run As Administrator is UNchecked under the compatibility tab of irfanview.exe

    I just wanted to follow up with you as requested to let you know what I discovered and to thank everyone for your comments.

  8. #18
    Multiple User Kuki Dent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany, Lower Saxony
    Posts
    245
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    n3306tx, thank you for your testing and sharing the result. I had never dared to assume that admin privileges for an application would interfere with
    its Drag 'n Drop abilities. This did not only solve the D&D problem with IrfanView, but also with other applications. So it seems to be a problem of Windows.
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

  9. #19
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n3306tx View Post
    I think I have my drag and drop issue resolved and wanted to follow up with my findings so others might benefit if they are still having drag and drop issues.

    In my case, it apparently was a Windows permissions issue.

    When I initially installed IV, I followed the instructions in the FAQ for installing under the program files directory. At some point, either I added a full control permission on the IrfanView folder for my user id (possibly testing for an issue I previously had years ago) or permissions were somehow inherited from another folder that gave my user id full control. Also, under compatibility tab, IrfanView.exe was found to be set to run as administrator. That appears to be a permissions conflict problem when permissions are set for full control on the IV folder AND run as admin is checked in compatiblity tab for Irfanview.exe. When I UNchecked run as admin on the compatibility tab for Irfanview.exe, drag and drop seems to have started working correctly again. I know there are some reported issues with running programs under the Program Files directory, so I reinstalled IV directly under my D:\ root folder. I left the permissions as previous (full control on IV folder with my user id and compatibility set to run as admin on IV.exe). Drag and drop doesn't work. UNchecking run as admin under the compatibility mode allowed drag and drop to start working again. Additionally, I also removed my full user id permissions for the IV folder and leaving the run as admin UNchecked on the compatibilty tab of IV.exe, drag and drop now works as intended. I also did this same testing with the older version 4.42 and got similar results. In any event, it looks like I might have the drag and drop issue on my machine sorted out for now even though I'm certainly no expert on windows permissions/conflicts.

    In summary, the following appears to have fixed my drag and drop issue with Irfanview.

    1. Remove User ID permission (i.e. "JohnDoe (MYCOMPUTER\JohnDoe)" from the IV folder and Irfanviewexe file. (Leave other permissions [Authenicated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators, Users] as is).

    2. Ensure Run As Administrator is UNchecked under the compatibility tab of irfanview.exe

    I just wanted to follow up with you as requested to let you know what I discovered and to thank everyone for your comments.
    Sorry but I didn't understand a single word here.
    I don't know who marked this thread as solved but it's not for me until someone posts clear and proven instructions.
    Run as Admin is already unchecked for my installation but still have the same issue.

    It's not because the problem is fixed for someone here that it is considered as Solved for the OP.
    Last edited by dsl25; 09.03.2020 at 01:22 AM.

  10. #20

    Default

    Have you changed the permissions for the main IrfanView folder (Properties > Security Tab) and the main IrfanView .EXE in the same way, as suggested? Not sure why you need to change both as sub-folders/files are usually set to inherit permissions from the parent folder. But if that is the fix recommended then that is what you have to do.

    It seems like a damned weird solution; why removing IrfanView permissions for the User account should be necessary for everything to work correctly I cannot even guess at.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •