WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

Long time user with WIN/ I was used to drag and drop files into Irfanview window in order to open them.
    I switched to WIN10 and this doesn't work anymore and have always to go through File/open menu.

Any clues?
    Thanks.

I have been using Drag and Drop to open files in IrfanView for years in Windows 10. Double-click only works if the file associations are correct for that file type, but D&D works for any files.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I have been using Drag and Drop to open files in IrfanView for years in Windows 10. Double-click only works if the file associations are correct for that file type, but D&D works for any files.
      Thanks, well noted.
      I tested on my 2 laptops with WIN10 and the issue is the same.
      Might be a settings issue somewhere but really don't know where to check...

Comment

AFAIK there is no setting for this in IrfanView. Can you drag and drop text files to notepad? If not, it might be a Windows settings that I don't know about.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It's very strange: I can with Metapad and EditPlus but can't with Notepad, Notepad++ and Irfanview...
          And with Word 2010 I also can't: I only get a thumbnail inside the windw
          oow but was working fine on same computer with WIN7 before switching to 10.

Comment

I'm having a similar problem with Drag and Drop with IrfanView and Windows 10. Unable to drag and drop files into Irfanview to open. Also unable to D&D from Windows File Explorer into Irfanview dialog boxes such as "Create Panorama Image" dialog, Sliceshow files dialog, Batch Conversion dialog and others. Interestingly, in the Slideshow and Batch conversion dialogs, I can D&D files from the filelist in the upper right to the input files area in the lower left of those dialogs. Has a solution been found yet to this issue?

Edit: I can drag and drop files into Notepad with no problems.

System Info:
            Windows 10 Home
            Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

IrfanView version: 4.54 - 64 bit

Installed RAM - 16GB

Thanks...

Comment

No such issue here. I can D&D from Windows Explorer to the Batch, Slideshow, or Panorama Image dialogues.

Are you perhaps using an alternative file manager?

Your Windows build is not quite up to date, but I doubt if that is the issue.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.657 • IrfanView 4.54 64-bit and 32-bit

Comment

I'm surprised that, yet again, some people seem not to have tried a little bit of Googling or research using their preferred search engine before posting here about a problem that might not be an Irfanview one.

It took me 30 seconds to find out that trouble with drag & drop has long been reported (2016 onwards) about Windows 10 and the solution that appears to fix it in many cases.

The cause is unclear but the solution apparently most likely to work is restarting Windows Explorer. The method is described on various web sites including the MS Community one.

Comment

No such issue here. I can D&D from Windows Explorer to the Batch, Slideshow, or Panorama Image dialogues.

Yes that was my case. I finally found out that this was happening because I'm using an old version of Total Commander and never use Win File Explorer.
                  It works with File Explorer and also with more recent versions of Total Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
                    I'm surprised that, yet again, some people seem not to have tried a little bit of Googling or research using their preferred search engine before posting here about a problem that might not be an Irfanview one.

It took me 30 seconds to find out that trouble with drag & drop has long been reported (2016 onwards) about Windows 10 and the solution that appears to fix it in many cases.

The cause is unclear but the solution apparently most likely to work is restarting Windows Explorer. The method is described on various web sites including the MS Community one.
                    It si not that simple!
                    Some programs work with file drag & drop while some others don't.
                    As I said before, the problem here with Irfanview was related to the file manager I was using but I still have the same issue with Word 2010 where MS File Explorer still doesn't work and restarting it doesn't change anything.

Comment

It is good to know you've sorted out the specific IrfanView D&D problem but that was/is clearly not at the root of the trouble. It is a another Win10 issue and the fact is it's still recurring years after first being reported and the suggested fixes do not always work is shameful. But it is not something that this IrfanView forum can help resolve is it?

Comment

My 2 cent:
                        IrfanView 4.54/32: D&D doesn't work from any file manager, be it Windows Explorer, IDosWin or FreeCommander, but it works when I find the images with Everything.
                        However, D&D to an empty CPix window works from all.
                        Seems to be an issue between IfranView and current Windows versions.
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.02.2020, 05:40 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
                        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Your Windows build is not quite up to date, but I doubt if that is the issue.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.657 • IrfanView 4.54 64-bit and 32-bit
                          No, I am not using an alternate file explorer. I running the latest update that Window 10 has offered me. I have also (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post

I have (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by n3306tx View Post
                              No, I am not using an alternate file explorer. I running the latest update that Window 10 has offered me. I have also (prior to posting) researched the drag and drop issue and the fix (which is to end the explorer.exe task and restart) does not fix my problem. I cannot D&D any file into Irfanview64 4.54 anymore, period. Interestingly, I reinstalled an older version of Irfanview64 ver. 4.42 and drag and drop works just fine. Thanks for your help.
                              Update: I also removed the i_view64.ini file, rebooted, and started IV 4.54. Same issue, no drag and drop. Again, reinstalling an older version (in my case ver. 4.42 64-bit), all drag and drop functions work just fine. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X