Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

  1. #1
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default WIN10: no more drag & drop files?

    Long time user with WIN/ I was used to drag and drop files into Irfanview window in order to open them.
    I switched to WIN10 and this doesn't work anymore and have always to go through File/open menu.

    Any clues?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,261
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    I have been using Drag and Drop to open files in IrfanView for years in Windows 10. Double-click only works if the file associations are correct for that file type, but D&D works for any files.

  3. #3
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I have been using Drag and Drop to open files in IrfanView for years in Windows 10. Double-click only works if the file associations are correct for that file type, but D&D works for any files.
    Thanks, well noted.
    I tested on my 2 laptops with WIN10 and the issue is the same.
    Might be a settings issue somewhere but really don't know where to check...

  4. #4
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,261
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    AFAIK there is no setting for this in IrfanView. Can you drag and drop text files to notepad? If not, it might be a Windows settings that I don't know about.

  5. #5
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    It's very strange: I can with Metapad and EditPlus but can't with Notepad, Notepad++ and Irfanview...
    And with Word 2010 I also can't: I only get a thumbnail inside the windw
    oow but was working fine on same computer with WIN7 before switching to 10.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm having a similar problem with Drag and Drop with IrfanView and Windows 10. Unable to drag and drop files into Irfanview to open. Also unable to D&D from Windows File Explorer into Irfanview dialog boxes such as "Create Panorama Image" dialog, Sliceshow files dialog, Batch Conversion dialog and others. Interestingly, in the Slideshow and Batch conversion dialogs, I can D&D files from the filelist in the upper right to the input files area in the lower left of those dialogs. Has a solution been found yet to this issue?

    Edit: I can drag and drop files into Notepad with no problems.

    System Info:
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

    IrfanView version: 4.54 - 64 bit

    Installed RAM - 16GB

    Thanks...

  7. #7
    Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,261
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    No such issue here. I can D&D from Windows Explorer to the Batch, Slideshow, or Panorama Image dialogues.

    Are you perhaps using an alternative file manager?

    Your Windows build is not quite up to date, but I doubt if that is the issue.

    Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit 1909 build 18363.657 • IrfanView 4.54 64-bit and 32-bit

  8. #8

    Default

    I'm surprised that, yet again, some people seem not to have tried a little bit of Googling or research using their preferred search engine before posting here about a problem that might not be an Irfanview one.

    It took me 30 seconds to find out that trouble with drag & drop has long been reported (2016 onwards) about Windows 10 and the solution that appears to fix it in many cases.

    The cause is unclear but the solution apparently most likely to work is restarting Windows Explorer. The method is described on various web sites including the MS Community one.

  9. #9
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    No such issue here. I can D&D from Windows Explorer to the Batch, Slideshow, or Panorama Image dialogues.

    Are you perhaps using an alternative file manager?
    Yes that was my case. I finally found out that this was happening because I'm using an old version of Total Commander and never use Win File Explorer.
    It works with File Explorer and also with more recent versions of Total Commander.

  10. #10
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
    I'm surprised that, yet again, some people seem not to have tried a little bit of Googling or research using their preferred search engine before posting here about a problem that might not be an Irfanview one.

    It took me 30 seconds to find out that trouble with drag & drop has long been reported (2016 onwards) about Windows 10 and the solution that appears to fix it in many cases.

    The cause is unclear but the solution apparently most likely to work is restarting Windows Explorer. The method is described on various web sites including the MS Community one.
    It si not that simple!
    Some programs work with file drag & drop while some others don't.
    As I said before, the problem here with Irfanview was related to the file manager I was using but I still have the same issue with Word 2010 where MS File Explorer still doesn't work and restarting it doesn't change anything.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •