Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Thumbnails] Copy pictures from one folder to another at precise location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Thumbnails] Copy pictures from one folder to another at precise location?

Hello,

I need to create a slideshow with pictures from two different folders, where each picture from the source folder should be pasted at a precise location in the target Thumbnails, so that pictures that belong to a given place in a city or topic are displayed one after the other.

The reason for this is that I visited a city twice in a couple of years, and I have pictures of the same location/topics that I'd like to show together.

I tried drag 'n dropping a picture from one instance of Thumbnails to the other, but nothing happens: All I can do is copy/move a picture, but Thumbnails doesn't display the target layout and let me copy/move a picture to a specific location in the layout.

Is there a way to do this with Thumbnails, or should I look at some other Windows application?

Thank you.

---
    Edit: It looks like LibreOffice's Impress Presentation application could do the trick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 18.08.2019, 02:48 AM.

Drag and Drop works fine in Thumbnails. The default is copy; hold down Shift to move files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drag and Drop Thumbnails.png
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	83314
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks.

Impress did work, but it seemed overkill just to show pictures, besides the performance issue of having pictures saved into one big file.

So I went back to Thumbnails… and noticed it is able to save the way pictures are ordered in a layout :-)

Save layout: File > Save selected file names as TXT
      Load layout: Options > Load file list from TXT file

Jus to reorder pictures in a directory, I guess a simple mouse drag and drop (copying) or adding SHIFT (moving) makes no difference since the files won't move around.

Comment

There is no problem dragging thumbnails around to change the order.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes: If the pictures stay in the same folder, it makes no difference whether it's a plain drag and drop, or SHIFT + drag and drop, although the cursor changes shape.

--
          Edit: FWIW, issues I find with saving the layout into a TXT file:

Must select all pics; It'd be easier to just save the list of files in the current directory as they are ordered in the Thumbnails window

No keyboard shortcut, and the item is lost in the busy File menu

If the user hits ESC by mistake, Thumbnails closes, without prompting the user who may have spent a lot of time reordering pictures :-/

After loading thumbnails from a TXT file, I see no way to add pictures, even when they're in the same directory. I had to edit the TXT files manually to add the full pathnames.
          Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 22.08.2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X