IrfanView does not update EXIF when rotating and saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved IrfanView does not update EXIF when rotating and saving

If EXIF record contains entry about image rotation then IrfanView fails completely on this and there is no way to actually rotate such image.

Image is loaded into IV, rotated (using i.e. L or R button), saved and in remains rotated only during this session. Upon reloading, it is again loaded without any rotation.

Most likely this is because EXIF data is not updated by IrfanView during rotation and upon re-load image's rotation is again read (incorrectly) from EXIF record.

The only way to workaround this problem is to save a file to a different format (i.e. BMP) effectively stripping all the EXIF data (which in fact isn't an option / a solution at all).

You can read all the detailed information about this bug / problem at Super User (my question): https://superuser.com/q/1468743/156554

Try Lossless Rotation.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

see if you have checked 'reset EXIF orientation tag'

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_save_orientation.png
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	83315

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thank you for your explanation. The "reset EXIF orientation tag" really does the job.

I've been using IrfanView itself and the Save as dialog for 15+ years so far and I haven't noticed addition of this switch.

Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
        X