Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Irfanview for redating, and re-orienting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Irfanview for redating, and re-orienting?

I know there are other posts in this forum on this topic, but I haven't been able to implement the suggestions, so asking the questions as they apply to me.

I'm looking for how to make Irfanview do two things I want/need:
    1. Redate files in Windows based on "date taken"
    2. Properly orient the image based on how it was taken

Redate:

Usually I transfer photos via an SD card from my camera, or a cable from my phone, directly plugged into the computer, and copying the files. This preserves the photo file date/time stamp based on when it was taken.

But when I don't - for example, saving a phone picture to a cloud drive, then downloading - the date/time stamp will reflect when the file was copied, versus when the photo was taken.

I used to use the Exifer program to mass-change the file date/time stamp to reflect the EXIF "taken" date. But this program is getting older and older and likely won't continue to run on future Windows versions.

How do I use Irfanview to do this in a batch mode? What I desire is the image file remain unaltered, except that the date/time stamp in Windows is changed to match the EXIF "taken date."

Re-orient:

This was never an issue until I bought a Google Pixel 3a phone.

Though Irfanview appears to work fine with pictures, including knowing how they're oriented, sometimes if I email them or put them on Facebook, the orientation is wrong - a portrait orient will render sideways like it's Landscape, or a photo taken with the phone upside down will look fine in Irfanview, but display in email or Facebook as being upside down.

How do I use Irfanview to edit the EXIF data (or wherever this stuff is stored), so that a photo will orient as intended in email or Facebook?

When you save a JPG after it is rotated to the right orientation in IrfanView, reset the Exif orientation tag.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      When you save a JPG after it is rotated to the right orientation in IrfanView, reset the Exif orientation tag.
      Can you take me step-by-step through this, including what setting to use? I know there are orientation tags in Exif data, but I don't know the meaning of their settings. Or how to access to Exif tags.

Comment

The setting is on the Save as JPG dialogue.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          The setting is on the Save as JPG dialogue.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	saveas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	83319
          Okay, I see "reset EXIF orientation tag" - it's just a check on or off box. How does one use this?

Comment

Working...
          X