Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

internal player displays video sideways for portrait-mode mp4 (rotation=90 ignored?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug internal player displays video sideways for portrait-mode mp4 (rotation=90 ignored?)

Running IrfanView v4.53 with the Video option set to "internal player", and using the LAV Filters v0.74.1 with all default settings. Video clips are played inside IrfanView's main window, as expected, however MP4 clips shot in portrait mode get played sideways i.e. rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Looking at one such file (copied from an Android phone, if that matters), the MP4 metadata shows width=1920, height=1080 and rotation=90. Those look right, but it appears that the playback in IrfanView ignores the rotation= value and displays the video sideways, instead. The same MP4 file plays in the correct orientation using MPC-HC configured to use the exact same LAV Filters. Both MPC-HC and IrfanView work the same between Win7 and Win10 i.e. MPC-HC plays the clip upright on both OSs, while IrfanView plays it sideways.

Here's hoping this glitch can be fixed in a future build, and thanks again.

Liviu

P.S. FWIW this reminded me of a similarly-looking bug in MPC-HC which was fixed back in their v1.7.11 (https://trac.mpc-hc.org/wiki/Changelog/1.7.11) "fixed: ticket #2202, automatically rotate MP4/MOV/FLV files when the rotation info is available". The discussion around that ticket is at https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/2202 and seems to point to the handling of the rotation flag in the metadata. I don't know if the two issues are in fact related at the code level, but I'll leave the links here in case any of that might be relevant to IrfanView.

After following up with Irfan directly, his reply was essentially "can't fix / won't fix". Disappointing as it may be, this closes the case.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have the exact same problem. I have been using Irfanview for more than a decade. Great tool, love it! But why can't this video auto rotate issue be solved??

Comment

Originally posted by kaja69 View Post
          I have the exact same problem. I have been using Irfanview for more than a decade. Great tool, love it! But why can't this video auto rotate issue be solved??
          As noted above, Irfan Skiljan said that he cannot or will not fix it. Often that means that the bug is in the file or in the application that produced it. Not something, over which, he has any control.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            As noted above, Irfan Skiljan said that he cannot or will not fix it. Often that means that the bug is in the file or in the application that produced it. Not something, over which, he has any control.
            I only see this late followup now, and would like to clarify that what I reported is in fact a bug. The files in question are fine, they play just fine in other viewers/players - except IrfanView - and this happens consistently across several Windows versions. That much was never disputed, neither here nor in the direct emails with Irfan. Having this topic retagged as "no bug" is both misleading and disappointing, to put it mildly.

Comment

Originally posted by liviu View Post
              I only see this late followup now, and would like to clarify that what I reported is in fact a bug. The files in question are fine, they play just fine in other viewers/players - except IrfanView - and this happens consistently across several Windows versions. That much was never disputed, neither here nor in the direct emails with Irfan. Having this topic retagged as "no bug" is both misleading and disappointing, to put it mildly.
              Maybe you should have read the sticky thread first?

No Bug — Strictly speaking, faulty behaviour is not always a bug. For example, a lot of plugins were never designed to work with 64-bit so the fact that they do not work is not a bug. 64-bit plugins need to be written by someone.
              Tagging the thread as No Bug is the only option that makes sense. It is not Fixed, nor is it Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Tagging the thread as No Bug is the only option that makes sense. It is not Fixed, nor is it Pending.
                Sorry, but tagging as No Bug a verifiable, reported defect does not make much sense, either. This is why, for example, bugzilla has WONTFIX as a possible resolution for tracked issues.

Comment

This forum is not Bugzilla.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug Tags.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	83514

Comment

Working...
                  X