Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D-Viewer needed

Hi and greetings from Germany,

as I'm working a lot with 3D-Modells (CAD, printing, downloads from Thingiverse & Co) and have lost the overview in the meantime, I've looked for a graphic viewer with management functions like IrfanView ... but just for or including the capability to generate thumbnails in a folder or album. Double Click obviously should open a window with detail view ...
    For 3D files you need also the option to rotate and zoom them (would be great also directly in the thumbnails). A little bit like animations in GIF files.
    A good hint over the functions is the web page of SketchFab (https://sketchfab.com/search?q=car&s...ce&type=models) ... you get an overview with thumbnails and within this thumbnails you can rotate the modells.

The maker scene and 3D ist the next hot thing coming slowly but accelerating ;-)
    Some of the tools as 3D-viewer are available as open source, so the adding of the needed functions shouldn't be that complicated (my naiv opinion).

Are there plans to extend your IrfanView with such functions?

Thankx a lot and hope your interested in this request,
    Tek

IrfanView is a bitmap viewer. I don't see it ever being able to zoom and rotate 3D vector images. Converting them to Animated GIF or PNG would be feasible.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      IrfanView is a bitmap viewer. I don't see it ever being able to zoom and rotate 3D vector images. Converting them to Animated GIF or PNG would be feasible.
      Jepp, I know, but wouldn't it be great to be ahead of the competition?

Converting 3D into somehow pixel graphics would lead to loose the important nature of that models. And it's not feasible to manage your smorgasbord of files.

I've searched for that option and heard from a lot of people that they are looking too for that features. There are further discussions about this topic (e.g. https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?1,701519) and a lot of software on GitHub for example gto ease the programming.
      Showing bitmaps and organize files with thumbnail preview is the basic functionality, adding the 3D-viewer API and handle mouse over and movements is, in my opinion, not that hard to implement ... the APIs already have the funtions for controlling rotation and zoom (and zoom might be also interesting for bitmap thumbnails ;-)
      3D-Modells are definitely hot and will be more in use than some of the bitmap formats IrfanView is supporting.

So might not a bad idea to enhance ?

Tek
      Last edited by Leviathan; 03.09.2019, 12:23 PM. Reason: missed something

Comment

Working...
      X