Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thumbnails: Not all thumbnails are shown!

Default Thumbnails: Not all thumbnails are shown!

Hi,

using the thumbnails-feature in folders that contain i. e. 3.000 images results in only showing thumbnails for nearly the "first" 50% of all images.

Is there a built-in limit or can I adapt a corresponding value somewhere?

Thanks in advance
    testit

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

There is no limit. You can stop the generation of thumbnails if it is taking too long. There is an option on the Thumbnail Options menu to load all subfolders too. Obviously, that will take a while, but it will eventually complete. Just keep scrolling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    There is no limit. You can stop the generation of thumbnails if it is taking too long. There is an option on the Thumbnail Options menu to load all subfolders too. Obviously, that will take a while, but it will eventually complete. Just keep scrolling down.
    Hi,

I don´t want to stop the generation of thumbnails - I want it to finish the process what means to show ALL thumbnails in the certain folder. I just don't see all thumbnails in the thumbnails window on the right. After about 1500 you only see filenames instead of thumbnails!

Kind regards
    testit

I found the reason for the problem: If I set the thumbnail´s size to > 450x450 then not all thumbnails show up. Is this a bug?

I use sizes > 450x450 because I have a 4K Display.

Kind regards
    testit

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

There is no bug as far as I can tell. Generating larger thumbnails obviously takes longer. Generating 1,700 on my old hardware only took a minute or two. Maybe you did not scroll down? There is an option to scroll down automatically when generating thumbnails. If your images are mostly high resolution camera images, then you might try disabling resampling to speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    There is no bug as far as I can tell. Generating larger thumbnails obviously takes longer. Generating 1,700 on my old hardware only took a minute or two. Maybe you did not scroll down? There is an option to scroll down automatically when generating thumbnails. If your images are mostly high resolution camera images, then you might try disabling resampling to speed things up.
    I tested ALL those things you mention and certainly I waited a long time (is 1h enough?) ;-)

From my point of view it is a bug, because that problem occurs on two different PCs.
    An older one and a power machine with core i7, Radeon and 32GB Ram etc.

Regards
    testit

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Are you using 32-bit IrfanView or the 64-bit version? Here either version works fine, but if your images are large, it may be a RAM issue: 32-bit is limited to using 2Gbytes.

I am using the 32 Bit version under Windows 10 Prof. 64 Bit.

I will install the 64 Bit version now and report here.

Thanks for your help!

Regards
    testit

With the 64Bit version the same problem occurs with thumbnail sizes > 500x500!
    Realtime tracking of the available RAM shows that available RAM is NOT the problem. More than 15 GB still available.

Regards
    testit

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Since it does not affect me with only 8Gbytes of installed RAM, the problem must lie with the images themselves.

What kind of images are they? Does in occur in other folders? Are there other files in these files like videos ?

Thread Information