Cannot set video playback size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot set video playback size

Is it possible to change the window size when playing videos? Whatever options I use I can only seem to get full screen. And if I try to drag a corner the aspect ratio is not preserved.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Settings for Video Playback using the internal player offer only Half, Double, or Normal size.

Better use VLC media player etc., for playing videos if you want full control.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks, but I can't even get Half or 'Normal' (whatever that is?). Can others do so?

Comment

You can set the video window to double/normal/half in the settings dialogue.

However, I second Bhikkhu Pesala's suggestion to use a decent video player. There are lots for free: Video Lan Client (VLC, which I personally don't like very much),
        Media Play Classic (MPC, Home-Edition MPC-HE or Black-Edition MPC-BE), Pot Player or my favourite Light Alloy - just to name a few.

The video player in IrfanView doesn't support very much video codecs, only older ones. It was added to IrfanView years ago to allow users to view videos
        in FLV or Quicktime format, both not common nowadays.

So, please get a REAL video player and keep in mind that IrfanView's main purpose is to view pictures, not videos.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

As I said, I cannot get a half display. I know how to set it!

I use Potplayer, MPC-HC and VLC. The first is my current 'preferred' player, following many years alternating between the other two. I've used several other players too over the last couple of decades. (I'll take a look at LightAlloy, which I haven't come across.)

But for quickly browsing a collection of several hundred JPGs and MOVs prior to making my holiday videos it's very convenient if IrfanView can play the videos as well as display the JPGs

Comment

If the aspect ratio is not preserved on dragging the corner, then you are using the MCI External Video Player. The Internal player does not suffer from this problem.

I found that there is an option for half, normal, or double with the External player. The Windows Media Player is recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	External Media Player.png
Views:	1
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	83328
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.10.2019, 09:35 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks. I was surprised to discover that I had to run C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\Plugins\IV_Player.exe to see that separate options dialog. That seriously increases the number of configurations for experiment!

It displayed the same settings as in your screenshot. Whatever changes I then made (I probably have not tried them all) I did not get a half size window. On playing an MOV (or encountering one as I arrow key my way through a large file of JPGS and MOVs) it comes up full screen. On then dragging it loses its aspect ratio. Anyone able to:
              1. reproduce this behaviour?
              2. discover a combination of settings to fix it?

BTW, what exactly is meant by 'Half' in this context? And by 'Normal'?

P.S: Your sig ask that I change my profile. How? There was no '4.53' in the drop-down list. And custom typing was impossible.
              Last edited by TerryP; 05.10.2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Half size means half the width and half the height of the original video size.

You can edit your forum signature and put your system specifications there. The site admin usually forgets to update the forum code to allow for the latest version. No doubt, 4.54 will be out before long.

Comment

Working...
                X