This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Wrong image rotation for many panoramas

I have the issue that Irfanview shows a wrong image rotation for many panoramas created by my cell phone.
    With having the option "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info" deactivated, many of the panoramas are shown upside down (in the thumbnail viewer as well as in the image viewer). Opening the same image with other tools (e.g. paint.net, Windows photo viewer, etc.) shows the image with the correct rotation.
    Screenshot of behavior attached (Irfanview compared to paint.net). Second screenshot show that the image cannot be rotated manually (other images from the cell phone can be rotated without issues, only panaromas don't work).

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362.356
    Cell phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
    Same behavior with Irfanview 32bit/64bit
    Image can be found in the following ZIP-file: https://workupload.com/file/tysS6X9N (File has a size of >6MB - upload only allowed for small images).
    Recipe: Open the image with Irfanview with the option "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info" deactivated => shown upside down. Open image with another editor => shown with correct rotation.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arie17; 06.10.2019, 10:54 PM.

If you want the image to be rotated according to the Exif data, clearly you must enable that option. Other editors probably do not offer users the option, but just rotate it automatically.

Obviously, this is not a bug.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Maybe my first description was unclear.
      Recipe:
      1) Open the image with a program e.g. paint.net or the Windows photo viewer. You will see that the image itself has a correct orientation.
      2) Open the image in Irfanview. You will see that the image is shown upside down (with the option "Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info" disabled).
      => Why does Irfanview rotate the image when it already has the correct rotation?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

The Exif orientation is Bottom Right, if you enable the autorotation according to Exif data, the bridge is the right way up when opened.

The error message on trying to do a lossless rotation is another issue. That seems to be an issue with large files, which the plugin cannot handle.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Here are the ExifTool data:

Code:
          ---- IFD0 ----
          Image Width                     : 6496
          Image Height                    : 2048
          Make                            : samsung
          Camera Model Name               : SM-G930F
          Orientation                     : Rotate 180
          The GIMP - by default, I believe - asks what to do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotate_gimp.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	83331

So, as Bhikkhu Pesala has already said, this is the correct and expected behaviour.
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Sorry my fault...
            Thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

Working...
            X