Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actually rotate image, not just change EXIF data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Actually rotate image, not just change EXIF data?

Hi Forum Folke,

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client. As I understand it, images are stored with pixel (0,0) in the upper left corner, along with what I believe is called "EXIF" data that tells apps loading the image how to display it, my main concern being image rotation. When any image is inserted "inline," Thunderbird takes the image and displays it "as received", with pixel (0,0) in the upper left, and completely ignores any EXIF rotational data; it is an email app, not a graphical app, after all.

I learned of this quirk on the Thunderbird forum, and was informed that the only way to "fix" this is to use a graphics app (Irfanview was specifically named, as was Gimp) to actually rewrite the image so pixel (0,0) is actually in the visual "upper left" of the image, rather than just changing the EXIF rotation data, which of course Thunderbird will continue to ignore. Doing this will cause Thunderbird to display the image in the correct portrait orientation, I have been assured.

Thus far, I have not been able to find out how to do this in Irfanview. When I load the image in question, it displays "correctly," that is, in portrait orientation; I'm assuming that this is just Irfanview complying with the EXIF rotational data. Do the "Rotate" commands in "Image" actually remap the image so pixel (0,0) changes, or do they just change the EXIF rotation data? In "Options," I saw "JPEG Lossless Rotation," which sounds like it might be what I'm looking for... can anyone comfirm/deny any of this? It'd be very much appreciated!!

Save the JPG file in the correct orientation and enable to checkbox on the save dialogue to Reset the EXIF orientation tag.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I've found that the "JPEG Lossless Rotation" seems to do the trick. I rotated the picture ninety degrees clockwise (just the opposite of what Thunderbird does) and saved it using this function. When inserting the file (inline), now it is displayed in the "normal" portrait, upright position. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
      X