PNG files not showing up when scrolling through files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported PNG files not showing up when scrolling through files

Using the most recent 32-bit version of irfanview 4.53 (btw the forum profiles haven't been updated to allow anything past 4.51), when I have opened a file in directory, and am scrolling to the next one (RIGHT arrow, or SCROLL DOWN on mouse), IrfanView skips over .png files.

Irfanview is associated with PNG (Properties > Extensions), and is set to "Load only associated filetypes while moving through the folder." Windows settings confirms Irfanview is the default program for PNG, and the appropriate icon is displayed. Using Windows File Explorer, if I double-click on a PNG file in a folder with only PNG files, IrfanView opens the image just fine, but when trying to move to the next image, it brings up the "last image in the folder" dialog, and says there are no files to view.

Is anyone able to reproduce this?

Use the option "Load custom filetypes". Copy the list to a text editor with a bigger window and remove unneeded extensions. It is additional work, but gives flexibility to load some specialty file formats that are better associated with other software. You can create an i_view32.ini if you need to make the same change onto multiple computers.

Maybe Windows makes it hard for applications to read the registry pertaining to associations to "protect" them.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
      Maybe Windows makes it hard for applications to read the registry pertaining to associations to "protect" them.
      it doesn't seem like it's a Windows issue because double clicking on a PNG file correctly opens up irfanview. the problem is that irfanview subsequently doesn't "see" the other PNG files in the directory.

can you try and see if you can reproduce the same behavior?

Comment

Did you check the list of files in Load Custom File types as suggested?

JPG|JPEG|JPE|GIF|BMP|DIB|TIF|TIFF|PNG|PCX|TGA|PCD| SUN|RAS|ICO|AVI|IFF|PPM|PGM|PBM|LBM|WMF|EMF|WAV|PS D|MPG|MPE|MPEG|MID|RMI|MOV|CUR|ANI|DCX|EPS|CLP|CAM |G3|AIF|AU|SND|PSP|PSPIMAGE|ICL|SFW|KDC|RA|MP3|DCM |ACR|FPX|XBM|XPM|DJVU|SWF|FLV|IMG|IW44|WBMP|SGI|RG B|RLE|MED|RLE|SFF|JP2|JPC|J2K|JPF|CRW|B3D|WMA|WMV| TTF|SID|MNG|JNG|RAW|ECW|ASF|TXT|WAD|ICS|IDS|CDR|CM X|NEF|NRW|ERF|ORF|RAF|MRW|DCR|X3F|SRF|ARW|PEF|RW2| RWL|SRW|MOS|3FR|OGG|DWG|DXF|DDS|JPM|PLT|CR2|DNG|PS |PDF|AI|CGM|DCM|HDR|FITS|HDP|WDP|JXR|EXR|WSQ|JLS|W BZ|WBC|MP4|MKV|MTS|M2TS|TS|M2T|M4V|3GP|VOB|MPO|PDN |XCF|WEBP|WEBM||
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

On my computer with an older Windows version, browsing associated extensions works. But there have been changes in how associations are handled in modern Windows 10.

Does IrfanView "know" that it is associated with PNG: is there a checkmark next to the extension? There are multiple ways how an association can be created from outside the program in Windows, and IrfanView wouldn't be aware of them.

When an association is made from inside the program (by placing a checkmark), IrfanView adds the extension to its configuration i_view32.ini in a format that is similar to the Custom Extensions. It is this list that used when determining which files to load.

[Extensions]
          AllExtensions=DDS|PNG|JPE|
          UseAssociatedOnly=1

The above loads 3 extensions on my computer.

Comment

Working...
          X