Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar icon not correct

Greetings,

In Windows Explorer, when I right-click on an image file and select "Open with... IrfanView" from the context menu, the image opens in Irfanview (the main program), but the icon that appears in my taskbar is the "IrfanView Thumbnails" icon (the Panda bear). The icon that should appear is the red IrfanView squiggly. Having the wrong taskbar icon appear bothers me. How do I correct it so the red squiggly appears?

When I use my desktop shortcuts, the correct icons appear in the taskbar; red squiggle for IrfanView and the Panda Bear for Irfanview Thumbnails.

Thanks - David

IrfanView Version 4.53 on Windows 7
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David12846; 08.11.2019, 10:12 PM.

1. Unpin the icon from the taskbar
    2. Right-click on the Start Menu Icon, select more, and browse to file location
    3. Right click on the shortcut, and select properties
    4. Change the icon. You will find a lot more in %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll than there are in i_view32.exe
    5. Pin the icon to the taskbar
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sorry for butting in but I don't think that works for Windows 7. I've had problems swapping the icon away from that dratted squashed cat.

You can of course change a desktop or start menu shortcut simply by selecting Properties > Shortcut tab > Change Icon button, but the icon in the taskbar is controlled by the .EXE file itself. If you click on the main IRFV .EXE there is no icon change option.

That Panda icon is used by the IV_Player Multi-Media plugin .EXE found in the Plugins folder and there is no way to change the icon it uses that I can see.

What you may have to do it what I did and that is use a nifty tool called Resource Hacker to explore the main IRFV .EXE contents, not just that IV_Player one unless you just want to change that specifically. It is not for the novice though, it adds itself to the right click context menu which I normally do not like anything doing but have actually found useful. Its GUI could be better but it works to change the icon IRFV or any other .EXE uses.

ALWAYS work on a copy of the .EXE not the original.

The two relevant file types to replace are the main squished cat Icon and Icon Group. That will change all IRFV main icons but not the specific IV_Player Multi-Media plugin that the uses the Panda icon. If you do want to do just that you'll likely have to change its icon and icon groups instead.

When I changed the main icon I chose to use the IRFV Slideshow one. That is also found in the same Plugins folder. I left all the the others alone.

Helpfully this guide actually uses IRFV icon changing as their example.

Only fly in the ointment is that each time the program is updated the .EXE is replaced and that means your icon changes will revert back too.
      Last edited by BadRobot2018; 10.11.2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
        Sorry for butting in but I don't think that works for Windows 7. I've had problems swapping the icon away from that dratted squashed cat..
        Thanks for butting in. I just assume that everyone is using Windows 10 by now.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
        Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support will not end until January 14, 2020.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The OP, David12846, specified he was using Windows 7 that's why I jumped in.

Comment

Working...
          X