This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Requested: multi threading support

Hello. I would like to request multithreading. It can be useful in a bunch of use cases:

1. An operation on the image is requested but the GUI is frozen because it runs in the same thread as the operation on the image. Now other parts of the program are not accessible.
    2. While saving an image the GUI is frozen too, it's not possible to already perform the next operation on the image while the old result is saved.
    3. When performing batch convert (gui is frozen again) it could be more efficient to use cpu cores when threads are ran on different cores.

About saving specifically it would be very cool if i can edit multiple images. At once with the same effect. Or seperately doing something to each image. And then afterwards save all images at once.

As i workaround i open multiple processes of irfanview. But this is more cumbersome because then i can accidently open the same image twice, unaware that irfanview is still working on it. And after saving is done i have to manually go back to close the irfanview process.

I also noticed a weird issue when having opened a lot of irfanview processes which are doing something that new processes start to complain they can not allocate more memory. But i was only using 10 GB of 16 GB in my system.

Irfanview version 4.53 64 bits + plugins

This request was forwarded to Irfan Skiljan back in 2010, and he said then that it is on his todo list.

I suggest sending him a reminder. For his email, see Help, About IrfanView.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I see it mentioned in the thread you linked, but no real response to it.

Are you aware if that is also the case regarding multithreading for browser thumbnail-generation? Or anything regarding it?
      From using it for quite a while now it seems to be restricted to 32-bit in terms of memory-allocation, single-threaded, and its buffer-size is woefully inadequate for larger jobs - usually resulting in either snail-speed(8x1MB files per 5-10 seconds after allocation hits max) if I don't restrict numbers per batch, or a crash if too many large images. Given how much I love using Irfanview I personally hope to see that part improved, hence curious if there's been any 'official' talk about it.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan does not visit this user-to-user forum. If you want to know about his plans for multi-threading, or if it is currently used for anything, send him an email.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Even "minor" multi-threading improvements are appreciated. Of course any "minor" concept is usually still a ton of work to implement. But sure, if the compiler could do it alone it'd probably already be done.

Here's one multi-threading feature I'd propose: multithread the batch processing.

The app could
          1) query the system for the number cores or threads available
          2) do a loop of that number of files for conversion at once
          3) continue with the rest of the file list to batch process

Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview64 request - multithread batches.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	83350

Comment

There is nothing more to discuss here. If you want to know about Irfan Skiljan's plans for multi-threading, please email him.

Comment

Working...
            X