Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Window freezes when displaying file in a large folder (via network)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Window freezes when displaying file in a large folder (via network)

I have a folder with about 2000 jpgs (95% smaller than 1 MB - album art for CDs) residing on a NAS which I access via 1Gbit/s local LAN (just 20 cm and one NW switch away from my PC).
    When I open a single file, it gets displayed immediately, but the status bar at the bottom says "no file opened". When I click into the IV window it gets foggy and I get the notorious message "application does not respond, do you want to wait or kill it".
    I hear a lot of rumbling on my NAS disk, so it seems that IV tries to read all the contens of the folder before it gets reponsive again.
    For a test: After I copied the full folder over to a local SSD, IV was reponsive imeediately after displaying the pic - as expected.

My question is: Is it a bug or a feature that IV tries to read in the full contents of the folder before becoming responsive?

For my purpose, I would not need the full folder contens being read, I only want to display a single file. Furthermore: After waiting long enough for IV to becoming responsive again, I get the very same delay if I try to view the "next" file (via the left/right arrow). So all the read operation on my NAS obviously did not result in a buffering of the contents for the purpose of a faster access when browsing the same folder.
    So what good would then be this reading of the remote folder after all?

Thanks for any insights.
    Apart form that I am very happy with this very powerful and versatile application! :-)

Try unchecking 'view other files in folder' under properties -> Browsing

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_view-other.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	83342

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Great - this did the trick!!!
      Slight drawback is that the left/right (fwd/backw) buttons don't work any more, which is a bummer for smaller folders, but to be expected for larger ones.
      Would be really cool if there was a way to configure this - but I don't want to be overly ambitious :-)

Thanks a lot, jazzman!

Comment

Originally posted by Samse26 View Post
        Great - this did the trick!!!
        Good! You're right of course; in default settings IrfanView builds a list of the items in the folder before you can start browsing.
        I'm not a technician,but perhaps you should take a look at your LAN/switch setup anyway.

Originally posted by Samse26 View Post
        Would be really cool if there was a way to configure this ...
        You can set up a second config of IrfanView with its own ini-file:

-make a copy of your IrfanView desktop link
        - create an empty folder for the alternate ini-file, e.g. C:\myIrfan - you can leave it empty (IV will automatically create an ini-file in good time) or copy the ini-file from your main installation
        -edit the path in the properties of the new desktop link by adding /ini=C:\myIrfan to the path
        - open the new IV and edit settings/properties according to taste

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_dup.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	83343

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
          You can set up a second config of IrfanView with its own ini-file:
          I was wondering if there was a way to do this - you actually fulfilled my boldest dreams
          Big Thanks again, jazzman!

Comment

Working...
          X