Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joining a matrix of tiles to make digital map

Default Joining a matrix of tiles to make digital map using Irfanview

Hi,
    I am able to make a map from an area of tiles, but this is very time consuming, and wonder if anyone has done it by using Command line and scripts using Irfanview.

Command line and scripts will be very difficult for me, as I have rarely used them, and then only with supervision.

The tiles I have are a matrix with a top number so all of the top horizontal row of tiles may be say '123', with the next row '124' and so on. I first make the top line by using search and panorama, which gives me a line.png. After doing this hundreds of times I would have save all of the lines down to the bottom. Now I would have to do the same with the rows, for hundreds of times, and once the vertical panorama is done, I would have a map of my county.

Would anyone show me how to automate it please?

Cheers, Camerart.
    Last edited by camerart; 03.12.2019 at 05:59 PM.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Have you tried creating a contact sheet instead of a panorama?

I could see no command line option for that, but one can make a grid without gaps between the images. The hard part is getting the files in the right order (drag and drop in Thumbnails can be used instead of renaming), then calculating the right values to enter in the Contact Sheet dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Have you tried creating a contact sheet instead of a panorama?

I could see no command line option for that, but one can make a grid without gaps between the images. The hard part is getting the files in the right order (drag and drop in Thumbnails can be used instead of renaming), then calculating the right values to enter in the Contact Sheet dialogue.

Hi B,
    The end product of what I want, is one image of my county as a map, which will be a very big file.

Drag and drop perhaps thousands of files would be too time consuming, and I think a contact sheet has gaps between eac image, so no good.

Let me know that you understand what I do longhand please.

The top horizontal row, are string of images all named the same e,g, '123' I search the whole of the tiles, which are a matrix, for 123, and then join them into a long strip.

Next I have to repeat the process 100s of times, 124, 125 and so on. Then I join them vertically.

I imagine that any command file or scripts, would be a two part process.

C.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Contact sheets do not have to have gaps.

Contact sheets do not have to have gaps.
    Hi B,
    That sound ok to me.

Is it possible to make a contact sheet of all of the images in one go?

If so, how would I do it, with all the same number at the top, making one PNG or JPG image?
    C

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I am not going to do the maths for you.

If the images are a x b pixels and there are 10 rows and 10 columns your contact sheet will need to be 10a x 10b pixels, with no gaps or margins.

I am not going to do the maths for you.

If the images are a x b pixels and there are 10 rows and 10 columns your contact sheet will need to be 10a x 10b pixels, with no gaps or margins.
    Hi B,

I got better result using 'contact sheet' but I can't get my images into the correct order, so the final image is jumbled.

I'm trying to figure out just what order they're in. If I search for [ *.PNG ] in the top folder, then choose Thumbnails, I get this matrix, before 'contact sheet.

Here's an image showing how they should join: Put the coloured stars together.

C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matrix.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	5689  

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The images can be dragged into any desired order in the Thumbnails view. Then create the contact sheet. with the selected images.

The images can be dragged into any desired order in the Thumbnails view. Then create the contact sheet. with the selected images.
    Hi B,

As there may be >1,000,000 tiles, this would be too time consuming.

I'll try other forums, thanks for you help.
    C

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

How is this ever going to work?

How big are these images that you're joining? If 1,000 x 1,000 pixels, that is 1 Megapixel. An image of one million megapixels is not going to load in IrfanView. Even those high resolution NASA images are only 256 Megapixels.

Thread Information