Newbie very basic question on installing plugins for 32 bit version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie very basic question on installing plugins for 32 bit version

Sorry for this but I'm not seeing this in the FAQs or instructions.

I downloaded both the program installer and the plugins from fosshub link.

I already had the 64 bit version installed and all the plugins for quite some time. After reading about the plugins on the two versions, I decided to install 32 as well.

OK, it installed, so I unzipped the plugins file. There is no installer in it. The only exe file is the IV_Player. I just don't get how to install them.

In the FAQs I found this:

Q: How to properly install IrfanView or Plugins?
    A:: On a normal system, the installer will ask (at start) for ADMIN permissions. You should allow that if you want to install in the standard folder like "Program Files" and write basic program infos in system registry. If your system doesn't ask for admin permissions, you should force admin start: right mouse button click on the EXE installer, a menu shows, choose "Run as administrator" and verify. Advanced users can take the ZIP version and unzip into a folder with write permissions (or redirect the INI file).

It says exactly nothing about installing the plugins, and by the way, is Windows 10 Pro not a normal system, because I was not asked for admin permissions while installing the program. Should I uninstall it and re-install as administrator?

I'm pretty sure I did the same and never saw any admin request when I installed 64, but it's been running on my machine for a very long time, and the only problem I have ever noticed on it is that when saving screenshots the autonumbered file names suddenly fails and it's really difficult to get it back in proper sequence (it keeps coming up with the last number that is already saved and I have to manually increment the name number), but I'll post a question on that in the proper forum directory after searching. For now I need help with installing my plugins for 32. Thanks.

Thanks for not letting me know. I have no idea how it's done, but I downloaded a zip file separately for the Irfanview 32 plugins. I unzipped that file and viewed its contents, as indicated in my question. Looking all over I found an explanation on Major Geeks that said to look in the Irfanview32 installation's "Plugins32" folder. I still don't get it. If that folder is already there, what's the purpose in downloading it as a separate zip file when you download the installation files? The contents of the zip file are exactly the same as those in the installation's "Plugins32" folder. I guess I must look like a fool to anyone with experience. So, thanks for letting me know. I got it. Is this a Newbie joke?

Comment

The 32-bit installer for IrfanView includes some basic plugins. The plugins installer includes some additional plugins.

From the FAQ on the IrfanView site:

Q: Do I need IrfanView PlugIns?
      A: Probably not. All basic options/features/PlugIns are included in the standard IrfanView installation. PlugIns contains usually special file formats. If you need a special PlugIn, IrfanView will show you an error message and then you can/should install all other PlugIns.

Q: How to properly install IrfanView or Plugins?
      A:: On a normal system, the installer will ask (at start) for ADMIN permissions. You should allow that if you want to install in the standard folder like "Program Files" and write basic program infos in system registry. If your system doesn't ask for admin permissions, you should force admin start: right mouse button click on the EXE installer, a menu shows, choose "Run as administrator" and verify. Advanced users can take the ZIP version and unzip into a folder with write permissions (or redirect the INI file).
      So, non-advanced users should download the exe installer http://www.irfanview.info/files/ivie...gins_setup.exe and run it as Admin.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
      X