EXIF is not preserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I have IrfanView's plug-ins installed. When I save a jpg file as another jpg file, the EXIF data is retained. When I save a tif file as a jpg file, the EXIF data is lost. Sorry about mentioning gif files. I got confused because IrfanView shows the jpeg save options and the gif save options in two panels of the same window.

Best regards

Comment

Hi dustwalker,

have you downloaded and installed the formats_401.zip file?

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Hi,
        I have installed the 4.0.0.0 version of the plug-ins, and applied the 4.0.0.1 update. IrfanView still loses the EXIF data when saving from tif to jpg.

Best Regards

Dustwalker

Comment

Hi,

IView also looses the exif information when I convert a jpeg to tif... :-(

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Hi dustwalker, derniwi,

Indeed, IrfanView drops all EXIF data when it converts from JPEG to TIFF and from TIFF to JPEG. I'll move this thread to the Bugreports section.

Laurent
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi,

i wrote an email to Irfan to clarify wheter if it´s a bug or an un- implemented function .

Comment

Hi Steve,

I believe it's an unimplemented feature, but it has all the appearance of a bug since the JPEG save options has a checkbox "Save EXIF data" (but it happens only for JPEG to JPEG).

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
                  Hi Steve,

I believe it's an unimplemented feature, but it has all the appearance of a bug since the JPEG save options has a checkbox "Save EXIF data" (but it happens only for JPEG to JPEG).

Laurent
                  Hi Laurent,

it is an unimplemented feature -> not a bug.

I am going to move it to feature requests

steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Better there

Laurent

Comment

Hi dustwalker, derniwi,

Indeed, IrfanView drops all EXIF data when it converts from JPEG to TIFF and from TIFF to JPEG. I'll move this thread to the Bugreports section.

Laurent
                      I use A Nicon d70s and get the same result when using "Save as" to convert my .NEF files to .JPG - the EXIF data is dropped! I've upgraded to 4.00 with the 4.00 plugins.
                      So, this bug afflicts more then just .TIFF-files
                      Regards
                      SilvaD

Comment

Nikon .NEF-files loses EXIF when saved as .JPG as well

Hi!

I have realized that this should be a Feature Request - not a bug report;-)

I use the 4.00 version with the 4.00 plugins btw

The raw NEF-files i get from my Nikon displays correctly, and I can choose "Image" -> "Information" - and klick on the EXIF "button" - and all the information is there. Exposure time, ISO etc.

If I convert the image to .JPG - using "Save as", and check the "Keep original EXIF data" - the EXIF information gets lost :-(.

But since it is there - fully accessibel in the NEF-file - it should be possible to export it to the .JPG - shouldn't it?

Regards
                        SilvaD

Comment

EXIF not readable after lossless flip

After a lossless flip with v4.00 main and v4.00 plugins, the exif data of a Nikon jpeg file is no longer readable by Nikon View, Nikon PictureProject, or "Exif Image Viewer". The exif data remain viewable, however, in IrfanView and WinXP Explorer.

I tried various switch combinations in the lossless dialog, but the result is the same.

What's the fix?

Thank you.

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

I tried to replicate that. Problem confirmed.

I also started from a NEF file, but after I just saved it to JPEG using IrfanView, all EXIF data were already lost, though I asked to keep them

Laurent

Comment

Hi Phil,

I tried to replicate that. Problem confirmed.

I also started from a NEF file, but after I just saved it to JPEG using IrfanView, all EXIF data were already lost, though I asked to keep them

Laurent
                              Thank you. What are the next steps to a solution?

Please note also that only one of the two thumbnails in Nikon JPEGs is updated by IrfanView. This may be a related issue.

Thanks again.

Comment

EXIF data missing when saving CR2 to JPG

EXIF data is missing when saving RAW images as jpg with Version 4.00 and Version 4.10,
                                even if I tag/untag the 'keep original exif data' option in save dialog.
                                I have updated irfan from 4.00 to 4.10 but the problem persisted.
                                Updating the exif.dll to to the one contained in plugins4.10 and restart didnt help.

System XP HOME SP2
                                Irfan 4.10 Plugins 4.10

This Problem is not existing when opening a JPG with EXIF Data contained, only when saving Raw to JPG

Comment

Working...
                                X