EXIF is not preserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

please try to search in this forum, but this is a known bug.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
      And yes, when I open the image information of a Canon RAW image, there is an Exif button. And the Exif window contains valid data.
      Not only that but other apps such as RoboGeo are able to read and modify the EXIF data in Canon CR2 files.

This is an IrfanView bug and significantly reduces the usefulness of IrvanView for Canon SLR users.
      Bob Palin

Comment

Hi Phil,

What are the next steps to a solution?
        Let's hope that this bug will be corrected in a future version.

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

NEF and EXIF

It seems that Irfan cant save EXIF information then converting NEF to JPG.
          Plz, solve this problem.

p.s. Or can I solve it myself somehow?

Comment

Hi Theopract,

Confirmed. IrfanView omits EXIF data even when the box to save them is checked. The reported image size is wrong (probably the size of a thumbnail, not the true size of the image).

Laurent

Originally posted by Theopract View Post
            It seems that Irfan cant save EXIF information then converting NEF to JPG.
            Plz, solve this problem.

p.s. Or can I solve it myself somehow?
            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

IrfanView never has had possibilities to save Exif information from the NEF-format in the past. Maybe in future versions. No wrongdoing in reporting the size seen here.

Comment

Tnx for answers. Hope to see this function in future versions.

Comment

EXIF is not preserved

Hi

I have ver 4.10 and noticed following behavior while batch converting Pentax PEX Raw files to JPEG: even though I have specified keep original EXIF data, my newly created JPEG files did not preserve the data picture was taken. The date what changed to the date of the conversation took place.

Why?
                  thanks

Comment

Hi,

the EXIF data is lost while saving into any other format. But this is a know problem and we hope Irfan will fix it.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Problem for me as well

Same problem with my Nikon D50 raws. Had it in 4.00 too. Little bit frustrating since Adobe Photoshop's batch converter make my pictures dark and undersaturated.

If this is fixed, then IrfanView will be as good as it seems to be. Otherwise, a marvelous tool.

Best regards, Eivind
                      Last edited by eivinsi; 22.12.2007, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Ditto... Lost EXIF Orientation when performing batch function to re-compress JPG files from thumbnail screen, even though the "Reset EXIF Orientation Flag" on the JPG/GIF Save Options was not checked.

Comment

I have been messing a lot with freeware methods to edit my raw PEF images that I create with my Pentax K100D camera. I have been using UFRaw and GIMP, but always preview in Irfanview first, and usually find that I like the interpretation of my images the best from what Irfanview presents. The problem has been of course this bug where the exif data isn't preserver when saving as jpegs or if trying to batch convert. Well I just found a workaround since it doesn't look like this bug will addressed anytime soon. I had tried exiftool once before but found the command line learning curve too difficult for me... On a whim I queried for a GUI and found one called exiftoolgui, and was able to batch process my jpegs that I converted from Irfanview:

It wasn't easy and took many tries, but my guess is that the tool has a harder time with my PEF's than it will with other more common raw formats...

EDIT: Everyone probably knows this, but this is still an issue with batch converting with Irf v4.2

EDIT2: I just did this again, so here are the steps (roughly):
                          1. batch convert images
                          2. using exiftoolgui, select all raw images and select export metadata into mie files (selecting on exif data on the next screen).
                          3. using exiftoolgui, select all converted jpeg files and then select 'restore jpeg metadata' and pick the first mie file of the lot. If it works, it will update the jpegs quickly. If something isn't right, the gui application will likely hang.
                          Last edited by t_p; 05.09.2008, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I looked up EXIF data and on Wikipedia it said it is something contained in .jpgs and TIFF files I think. It didn't say anything about RAW I don't think.

That being said, I'm going to check if my RAW files have EXIF data or any other shooting information.

Comment

My guess would be that RAW format would have a tremendous amount of the camera settings info recorded in with the image data. BUT!!! the problem is simply that there are no standards as to where, or how, that EXIF data will be stored in with the image data.

So, while the data is perhaps there, if you don't know where it is or what format to use, if it is a bit encoded (be it ASCII or Hex, or even (shudder) Octal) then how can I (I being the tool in use) interpret the data there? wherever?

Which means, for now, that a plug-in will be required to properly read the RAW data, and for now, those RAW standards are manufacturer specific.
                              Last edited by ChuckE; 12.02.2010, 09:35 PM.
                              I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                              Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Yep, the same problem occurs with RAW audio files.
                                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                                X