EXIF is not preserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
    ...then how an I (I being the tool in use) to interpret the data there? wherever?

That means, for now, that a plug-in will be required to properly read the RAW data, and for now, those RAW standards are manufacturer specific.
    Hmm, I have read through the whole thread, and the common complaint seems to be that looking at a RAW file from Pentax, Nikon, Canon (even with a DNG file from Powershot A640, with which I verified this behaviour)... the EXIF data are displayed correctly by IrfanView hitting the E key (or via "Information", button "EXIF info"), you can even copy them to clipboard - but they are lost when saving the pic as JPG, whether "keep original EXIF data" is checked or not.

So regardless whether or not there exists a standard, IV is able to read the EXIF data from RAW files.
    It is just a bug, so let's hope Irfan reads this thread and will fix it in the next version.

Comment

Confirmed EXIF data lost with KDF Kodak raws aswell

I have a Kodak Z1015 IS and I also have the same problem with being able to see the EXIF data in ifranview when viewing the KDF raw images but that data is lost even with the settings to preserve them being set to on in batch convert mode to tiff and jpeg.

Great software by the way, I'm amazed that it even supported the raw kodak format.

Comment

Any progress on the lost Exif data bug?

KICK!

I just spent a few hours converting Canon 5D RAW to JPG, and lost all the Exif.......

Any progress on this bug?

Comment

See you soon, Irfanview?

I've been using Irfanview for years because it is free and a light program, making basic photo editing so much easier to do in batch processes than with Photoshop. However, batch processing raw files is useless in Irfanview because the EXIF information is important for me. After reading this thread and seeing that this has been a problem for several versions with no response as to whether or not this "feature" or "bug" will be addressed, I'm going to dump you.

With much dismay, Irfanview, I will no longer be using you for handling RAW files because Photoshop and many other graphic programs do manage to preserve EXIF info from RAW files without any specialized plug-in when saving into other formats. So while I hate to use Photoshop because it is a resource hog, not free, and very slow at batch processes, it preserves the EXIF data by default.

If you fix this problem, I will resume using you. I'll miss you.

Comment

Hi,
            I see than you don't have a solution for us.
            I am sorry but same to Motdakasha the EXIF information is importante for me
            in first step i am happy because the v4.25 understand the gps information (its for locate and reminber the landscape) but after conversion to send by mail its necessary to rewrite by hand the exif information

when you fix this but I come back

sorry

Comment

Hi lepapounet,

Please understand that even if we do our best to answer questions, we are not the programmer of IrfanVew and that we have no possibility to modify the program.

If you resize a JPEG and save as a JPEG, you can check the box "Keep EXIF Info" and they will still be there. But I fear this works only for JPEG to JPEG.

Bonne journée "Papounet" ;-)

Laurent
              Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Working...
              X