EXIF is not preserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXIF is not preserved

I convert Canon RAW (CR2) files to JPG with an option to save exit info, but the jpg does not have any exif info. The info is blank. Any one seen this? I tried reinstalling plugins, but the problem exists.

The RAW data that cameras save are probably just the actual picture image data, and not the info of things like the date, time, camera, manufacturer, what the camera setting are, if the flash was used, etc.; as what is in EXIF.

My guess is that EXIF data is not in the RAW to begin with. I may be wrong, as this is just an educated guess, but RAW, to me, means RAW.

Since there are no standards for RAW (at least not yet) perhaps your camera does not save EXIF with the RAW that it does save. Other cameras maybe.
    Last edited by ChuckE; 06.09.2007, 02:49 PM.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Hi,

@Chuck: there are some exif like informations in Canon RAW files. There is also a little preview jpeg in the RAW file... not only the raw pixels.

@dimplekv: I'll check this later. Other RAW converters are able to write the exif data.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
        there are some exif like informations in Canon RAW files.
        "exif like"? EXIF data, to be recognized by any converter, would have to be in a recognized format, with some recognizable header, so that the converter will "know" what data to utilize.

Just because the "exif like" information of "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" is there, it is not going to be recognized as such unless that info is prefixed with "CameraID" and any of the other EXIF needed IDtags or headers.

(I copied these data bits from one of my own photos, not trying to say that any or all photos must have "OLYMPUS" somewhere there. )

As for the "little jpeg" preview in the Canon RAW, cool!

Comment

More Clarification

Let me clarify more.

If I open the raw (CR2) file in Irfanview, I see the exif data (like shutter speed, aperture, iso) in the 'full screen' view. If I save the file as JPG and try to see the same information in 'full screen' view, I see blank data.

Comment

And like I said, just because that data is there, and it is data just like what you would expect to be EXIF, does not mean it is really in an EXIF format with EXIF recognizable headers.

There is no standard for RAW. Canon saw fit to place this data in there, and that is great, but without standards, and if IrfanView does not know or follow the rules set down by Canon as to how they place their data, it just might as well be Swahili or Esperanto.

Now, if the camera manufacturers come up with an EXIF standard, or if IrfanView followed the same rules as Canon when reading Canon RAW files, I would expect, only then, to pull the EXIF data out correctly.

So, while you have a solid comment about what IrfanView does not do, I would say what you have is not a BugReport (this forum), but a Feature Request. A Feature Request entry would perhaps get Irfan to look into the added ability to understand whatever it is Canon does with their RAW files.

Even, perhaps, a Canon RAW plug-in could be added.

Comment

More Clarification

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum. Thought it was a bug.

Comment

Hi,

i move that thread to the feature requests

steve

Comment

Hi,

ok, the camera informations can be display by Irfan view from a Canon RAW file. And they will be shown in the EXIF dialog. So it should not be a problem for Irfan to save them into a JPEG file, doesn't it?

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Are you now saying that you can open a Canon RAW file with IrfanView, and see the EXIF data? Because, that is not what I understood you to say when you first started this thread.

I just opened a RAW image right now, and I don't see any EXIF display button, but that could just be the RAW I have here.

However, I am still saying that without standards for RAW format, the data you know to be in the file, as identical to what you would expect EXIF data to be, does not make it recognizable to IrfanView.

When opening that RAW image, I even had to tell IrfanView what the size and the color data was laid out in. All of that should be readable from valid, recognizable (to the tool) EXIF data.
                    I did not even see a selection, before opening the RAW image, that I wanted to use or read the EXIF data. Heck, I had to tell IrfanView how much header data to skip over before it got to the actual picture data. That header area would typically be where EXIF and IPTC info would be stored.

If, however, you are actually able to display EXIF data with IrfanView (and I do NOT mean via the [Show HEX view] command, either - that is not the same) then sure, you have a valid bug. But I am guessing that is not the case. I think you are asking for a new feature. Perhaps a good feature too, but without RAW standards, who is determine the specs for such a feature?

Comment

Hi,

@Chuck: I wasn't sure if I can see the Exif informations. But "Exif" is just designed for a view file formats ((look here at wikipedia)). How ever the Canon RAW format contains values which can be written to jpeg exifs.

And yes, when I open the image information of a Canon RAW image, there is an Exif button. And the Exif window contains valid data.

And this data seems not to be stored if the file is saved as a jpeg file.

Sorry for the confussion, Nils.

Comment

More Clarification

I tried to mention that I am able to see the EXIF data in Irfanview. No external editor was used to see the info. I see the Exif button for raw, but when i save it, the button is not available for JPG. I really think this is a bug. ChuckE, I agree about the standards, but what's available for RAW should be available for JPG unless its dropped while conversion.

Comment

"Save as" and batch conversion lose EXIF data

IrfanView 4.0 discards the EXIF data when converting tif files to gif or jpg, regardless of the "Keep original EXIF data" setting.

Best regards

Comment

Hi dustwalker,

I saved a JPEG under another name as a JPEG image and EXIF data were not lost. Not sure if the presence of IrfanView's plug-ins does matter here. Did you install them?

Does GIF format support EXIF data?

Maybe this thread isn't a bug.

Laurent
                            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi,

only jpg and tif does support exif. Not gif

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X