Slow Opening of Large JPG Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Slow Opening of Large JPG Files

I have the same problem of very slow opening of big jpg, with V4.53 32-bit on my Windows 7 Pro SP1.
    Is the only solution reverting to the old 4.44 version posted by Bhikkhu Pesala in 2017, or is there a newer version which also fixes the problem?

Or are there any settings tweaks that would fix 4.53's loading time?
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.12.2019, 10:23 AM. Reason: Added link to fixed bug report thread

I doubt if reverting to an older version will improve anything. Please post a link to the file and tell us how long it takes to load (see the File Information dialogue after it loads; the load time is given in milliseconds).

The 64-bit version may be faster; try that and again tell us your results.

How much RAM do you have available?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If you use color management and the JPEG has an embedded profile, the opening and color conversion will be very slow. In the most recent version an improvement was added to skip the processing if the profile matches exactly the currently selected display.

Comment

Images are not often larger than the NASA images.

Helix Nebula 16,000 x 16,000 pixels JPG loads in 1610 milliseconds in 32-bit IrfanView, or 1265 milliseconds in 64-bit IrfanView 4.53
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

In fact I should have been more precise: my problem is with photos from my iPhone 8, browsing the photos. They are not very big, mostly between 4MB and 8MB.
          A photo loads OK when I click on a file. The problem is when hitting space to go the next:
          - If the photo is not in full-screen mode, it works normally fast.
          - If the photo is in full-screen mode, it takes 15-20 seconds to load. Surprisingly, the info dialog still says it loaded in 140ms or such, but in reality it was 15-20secs.
          This problem is very frequent (~70% of the cases)

Another version of the same issue: I click on a photo, it loads normally fast. I hit enter to go to full-screen: normally fast. I hit esc to exit full-screen, it takes 4-5 seconds to revert.
          this problem is less frequent: ~40% of cases.
          what gives?

I have win 7 pro SP1 32 bit, 3GB RAM, IV 4.53 32-bit. Dual 2560x1600 monitors.

an example of files causing the issue:

Comment

The files load in 32/31 milliseconds in IrfanView 32-bit/64-bit.

It looks like the problem discussed in this thread.

Not a bug in IrfanView, nor any issue with the images, but a bug in Windows.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.12.2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

To clarify: I am not browsing images on the iPhone. I downloaded the photos to a directory in my hard disk, and use IV on that directory.
              The problem is most visible when loading a photo, going full screen, and then hitting space to scroll through the directory.

Comment

I copied your four images to a temporary folder and opened on in fullscreen mode. Browsing with the spacebar is pretty much instant. Load times vary from 15-45 milliseconds.

Is it a colour profile issue as noted above by j7n?

The only other thing I can think off at the moment is antivirus checking each image before loading it.

Comment

Colour profile is not activated.
                  I tried stopping the AVG antivirus for 10 minutes, no change.

I just noted that if I load a photo in a window (not full screen), then switch to full screen, the photo displays immediately, but the "show text" takes 8 seconds to appear.
                  This text is "$D$F $X $C $I116 $I120" (path, name, index, Exif and IPTC captions).
                  During those 8 secs, IV does not execute any command like esc, right or left arrow. It does execute it after displaying the Show text.

Comment

I tried with those Show Text settings in fullscreen. Again, no delay in either 32-bit or 64-bit.

I wonder if you have a large folder sorted by Exif data? That might delay the loading of the next image.

Comment

The folder has 1,109 files. In IV it is sorted by name. (in windows explorer too, if it counts).

Comment

I removed the fixed tag from the thread, but I cannot reproduce it. Maybe someone else can?

Comment

Well. If nobody can replicate this issue, then it must be something wrong with my system.
                          I'll continue to look for a solution.

Thanks a lot for trying, it is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X