Network (mapped drives) not showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Network (mapped drives) not showing

I'm migrating machines. The older one is an i5-4460 running Win 8.1 and Irfanview version 4.51 64 bit. The new one is a AMD Ryzen 2600 6 core processor, running Win 10 v1903 and Irfanview 4.54 64 bit. I have multiple external HDDs, two Buffalo Linkstations, and a WDCloud drive. I have mapped both the Buffalos so they have drive letters.

On the Win8.1 machine, when I go to open a file I get the standard folders, devices and drives, and network locations show up, including the two Buffalos with their drive letters, and I can navigate from them. Going into Thumbnails, the folder tree is pretty much the same, with the multimedia folders missing and none of the network locations that are not mapped - both Buffalos show up and I can access the files through the directory tree as I would expect.

On the Win10 machine I can use the cmd prompt to confirm that the two buffalo drives are mapped with drive letters, and they show up in explorer under network locations as mapped drives, however, they are not visible as mapped drives when I go to file>open, although they are visible as unmapped network locations under Network (and they don't show up in the Thumbnail folder tree).

In the main app, file>open I can navigate through the Network locations and see the folders on the Buffalos, and open a file. Once a file is open I can launch Thumbnails and the network address is shown in the most recently viewed bar.

I have no idea why there is a difference between the two and can't see anything I have done differently. As a comparison, I run Bulk Rename Utility, and installed and set that up before Irfanview. Initially It couldn't see the network drives, which reminded me I had to map them first - the drives are mapped and they can be seen, just not in Irfanview.

Win 8.1 file>open

Win 8.1 Thumbs

Win 10 Command Prompt

Win 10 Explorer

Win 10 file>open

Win 10 Thumbs

SOLVED

I rolled back to v4.51 64 bit on the Win 10 machine and initially there was no difference - the mapped drives were not visible in Irfanview.
    I don't recall installing plugins on the Win8.1 machine, but downloaded and installed them, and the mapped drives were now visible in the main application, and in Thumbnails, just as on the Win8.1 machine I'm retiring, so presumably I had for something else.

On simply updating to v4.54 64 bit, the mapped drives disappear from the options.

Uninstalling everything using RevoUninstaller and starting with v4.54 from scratch, then installing the plugins DOES the trick and mapped drives are visible both in the main app and thumbnails. A simple update must knock out something in the plugins.

Comment

Working...
    X