V 4.54 (32 Bit) corrupts video file assoziations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved V 4.54 (32 Bit) corrupts video file assoziations

3 days ago I upgraded from Irfan View V4.44 to 4.54 and noticed two days later, that I cannot open a mp4 file by double-clicking.

Instead a window pops up (image appended below), asking me how to open that file. No matter what I responded, the window continued to re-pop.
    I searched the web for that kind of bug, but could not find a solution.
    So I restored a 6 days old system image and all was working fine again. But when i installed V 4.54 again, the problem was back.
    So for me it was prooven, that Irfan View 4.54 introduces the problem.

The same is true for .avi files, while .wmv, .divx and .mpg files still open with a double-click.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wie.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	85268

I'm running Window 10 Pro 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.535 on a desptop PC.

Anybody else with that problem?
    Any advice how to fix that except restoring the system over again?

Joachim

This is not a bug in IrfanView; it is a file association issue in Windows. If you can right-click, Open with, and open the file with IrfanView that should open MP4 videos. If not, then maybe you have not installed the plugins for 32-bit.

Go to Windows Control Panel to set the default apps for videos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Default Apps.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	83355
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      This is not a bug in IrfanView; it is a file association issue in Windows. If you can right-click, Open with, and open the file with IrfanView that should open MP4 videos. If not, then maybe you have not installed the plugins for 32-bit.

Go to Windows Control Panel to set the default apps for videos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5706[/ATTACH]
      The ability to open an mp4 file with a simple double-click ended exactly the moment I installed V 4.54.
      I was at the default apps settings, changed them back and foth multiple times, even reset all associations to default, to no avail.
      A double-click on an mp4 file always results in that popup window shown above.

Again: everything was fine until V4.54 was installed. Not once, but twice.

Comment

I just changed my file associations for Videos from VLC to IrfanView 32-bit and it worked. I am using the same version of Windows as you.

I then changed it back again and MP4 files open in VLC again.

There is no file type for MP4 listed in Settings, Extensions so Windows must be controlling this, not IrfanView.

In Settings, Video/Sound, Use external player must be enabled for MP4 files to play at all.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I just changed my file associations for Videos from VLC to IrfanView 32-bit and it worked. I am using the same version of Windows as you.

I then changed it back again and MP4 files open in VLC again.

There is no file type for MP4 listed in Settings, Extensions so Windows must be controlling this, not IrfanView.

In Settings, Video/Sound, Use external player must be enabled for MP4 files to play at all.
          The problem is not, that I cannot change the association.
          The problem is, that a double-click on a mp4 file (no matter if it is assinged to VLC or Media Player or ...) opens that stupid window and no matter what I answer there, after clicking OK the box will not go away but will ask me the same question over and over again.
          And yes, I also checked the box that would usually make my answer permanent.

Comment

Ok, I again restored the system backub and upgraded again to 4.5.4.
            This time I ran the setup as Administrator and did not allow the installer to do any changes to the file associations.
            It is all ok now, the mp4 files open again as expected.

Problem was probably, that I missed the need to install as Administrator.
            But if it is that important, the installer should warn the user if (s)he misses this.
            By the way, (free) Veeam is doing a pretty good job in saving and restoring the System.

Comment

Working...
            X