No announcement yet.

Batch Conversion+Rename Result causing gain/loss of focus while running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending Batch Conversion+Rename Result causing gain/loss of focus while running

I am having an issue where when converting and then renaming the resulting images it will cause the batch conversion to lose and regain focus constantly, leading to my mouse being unusable while a conversion runs. I have this happen with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of 4.54.

I did notice that when using either the conversion only or renaming only I did not have the issue occur. I've uploaded some images of the relevant windows with the settings I use. When converting without renaming I also have to check the overwrite existing files due to my needs, but normally it is unchecked. I also tested and had the problem occur when on the same drive or different drives than the program.

If this is an issue I can correct, I would greatly appreciate any guidance on it. If not I hope it is a bug that is reproducible. Let me know if I've forgotten any relevant information.

W10 Pro 64bit

Hardware:
    Ryzen 3700X and 32 GB Ram

Software:
    Irfanview 4.54 64bit and 32bit

Settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	G9DvjdL.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	85270Click image for larger version

Name:	rkqbZxh.png
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	85271Click image for larger version

Name:	nLBGXpp.png
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	85269
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.12.2019, 11:35 PM. Reason: Uploaded Images to Forum

It is more convenient for helpers if the image are included in the post, so I uploaded them for you. Images often disappear from image sharing sites, or one needs to accept cookies and see advertisements.

Your batch dialogue does not include any files. Add the files first, then Start the Batch operation.

I could not reproduce the problem.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

With the settings I have pictured any image I add and then use the batch convert and rename together will cause the behavior I describe to happen. If its unable to be reproduced then I doubt I'll be able to really report this then. Are there any log files I could upload that may point to the cause?

Comment

Maybe wait a few days to see if anyone else can reproduce it. Then, if you can reproduce it send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says so that I can update the thread's status.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hello!
          I just registered because I was looking for this exact issue from months, without any luck. Today I finally found this thread with another user with my problem.
          I want to say that I think I've found the culprit that causes the program to constantly gain/lose the focus, making impossible to do anything else.
          I tried another program (I don't know if it's allowed to mention the name here, so, I'll avoid to do) that batch-compress the images and I have not had this issue, so, I was thinking it was IrfanView itself that was causing the issue... Then I selected the option to also delete the original files and here we go again with the issue! The other program started gaining/losing the focus all the time, in the exact way IrfanView was doing! Then I tried disabling the option to delete the original files in IrfanView too and the problem was gone.
          I noticed that dpk (The original poster) in his screenshots has selected the option to delete the original files too.

I have not tried for now to also rename the images and see if this issue happens renaming too.
          EDIT: I have tried now converting+renaming without deleting original files and it works fine, without the reported issue.

So, I think there is an issue of gain/loss of focus if the software must also delete the original files. If the compression takes too much time to complete and you need to do something else, it truly is a problem, but I don't know if this issue can be fixed. For now, there is the possibility to organize your conversions avoiding to use the option to automatically delete the original files. I hope this will help someone else trying to figure out what caused this issue.
          Last edited by [ITA]; 05.03.2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Has anyone submitted a bug report to Irfan Skiljan?

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Has anyone submitted a bug report to Irfan Skiljan?
              Hi! I haven't, but I don't know if dpk did it. I just saw here https://irfanview-forum.de/showthrea...ll=1#post44481 that the forum is not administrated nor owned by Irfan Skiljan. I was thinking this was the official Bug Tracker, instead there is the need to contact Irfan by eMail.

I'll try to contact him as soon as possible to port this issue to his attention and I'll let you know.

Comment

UPDATE: I reported this issue to Irfan and he replied to me in less than 24h with a solution. He fixed this "bug" (if this can be considered a bug) and gave me a test version to overwrite the actual v4.54 32bit and the permission to report this solution.
                http://www.irfanview.info/test/iview32_test.zip
                Unzip over your existing IrfanView files (EXE and DLLs, over version 4.54) and use as always. (admin rights probably needed to replace the old files)
                Original answer:
                Yes, this is a Windows "feature", if the delete-files batch option is
                used ... and RecycleBin.
                ---

OK, I can send you a test version, which will hide "more" the
                shell-dialog ... it works better now.
                So, you just need to ensure you already have installed the latest version (4.54) of IrfanView 32bit, download this zip file, extract what it contains and copy-paste to the installation directory of IrfanView, overwriting all existing files. Then use IrfanView as always, but this problem should be gone.

I personally tested and can confirm that it doesn't constantly gain/lose the focus anymore. I also tried to convert+rename the files with the deleting option enabled and I also tried to overwrite the original files with the same names. No issues anymore for me.

Here is the 64bit test version: https://www.irfanview.info/test/iview64_test.zip for IrfanView 64bit, but I don't know and I can't confirm if this contains the fix.

I hope this "fix" will be implemented in the next release.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the test versions. I have updated the thread status to Pending.

The issue should be fixed in version 4.55, which may be several months away yet. Typically, there are six months or longer between releases.

Comment

Working...
                  X