Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

: Decode error ! Invalid or unsupported PNG file.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed : Decode error ! Invalid or unsupported PNG file.

IrfanView 32-bit
    Version 4.54 32-bit

Please send the file with a bug report to Irfan Skiljan and let us know what he says. Tell him which program was used to create the file. See Help, About IrfanView for his address.

I could open the file in IrfanView after saving it from Serif PhotoPlus X8.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have the same problem. Version 4.54 64 bit. I'm on Windows 10.

I can open this image in any other program, i.e. Chrome or MS Paint. However Paint seems to handle it better than Chrome, which for some weird reason trims the image by around 70px in height.

It's a screenshot generated by a game client (retrocores):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-11 23;52.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	83469

I guess whoever developed the client made a shoddy work around decoding or image headers in screenshot capture, but then why this image opens on other programs? Can I make IrfanView be less strict about these faulty headers so it can open this image as well?
      Last edited by overdriven; 25.06.2020, 10:04 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

This thread is about PNG files, but the image that you have attached is a JPG image. It opens just fine in IrfanView 4.54.

I suggest attaching the original PNG image or BMP (or whatever it was).
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's strange, it is a png, could it be that the uploader is converting it to jpg?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-11 23;52.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	83470

here it is on imgur: https://imgur.com/It6eytH

Comment

It is the same problem as already reported and confirmed.

Comment

IV couldn't open that PNG, even if it works fine for other programs. Why so?

IV couldn't open that PNG, even if it works fine for other programs. Why so?
              This PNG is https://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/spacepotion.png

Comment

As with the other reported buggy file, if I save your file from Serif PhotoPlus it opens fine in IrfanView. Probably, IrfanView is stricter than other viewers about invalid files.

If you send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan, let me know the result and I will update the thread. See Help, About IrfanView for his email.

Comment

I've done a little investigation. There are two kinds of PNGs.

spacepotion.png and uy8luHK.png are basic paletted images. I don't know what's wrong with them. They both were created by Software GLDPNG ver 3.4.

It6eytH.png is invalid. It's 32bit RGB+alpha image. The file contains tRNS chunk, which is not permitted in 32bit images.

I was able to fix all the PNGs using PNGOUT.
                  My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
                  X