Thread: Installation problem - thumbnails exe missing / opening mode

IV Newbie
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Default Installation problem - thumbnails exe missing / opening mode

Information requested for profile:
    Version of irfanview 4.54 64bit (not possible to enter in profile field)

I have recently upgraded Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.
    Since then I have had an issue on opening files.
    If I open the program and then open images, everything is normal.
    If I right click on an image and choose open from there, the image will only open in 100% mode. Any changes to the zoom level, (in particular to fit image to window), are lost on closing the image, or on moving to another image (irrespective of the Lock Zoom setting).

I reinstalled the latest version of irfanview (4.54) in the belief that this might be a artifact of the upgrade of OS.
    The newer version still gives the same problem.
    In addition, though, the thumbnail viewer seems to have vanished. There is no evidence of it in Program files; App Data folders; start menus; or anywhere else I have examined on my machine.

Could you provide any assistance on this?
    Thank you

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

As far as I know there is no such file as thumbnails.exe.
    Did you install from the Windows App store or from the downloads on the IrfanView site?
    Your installation seems to have problems writing to i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini

How did you install the program? For all users or for current user only?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

You can start the thumbnail viewer with 't' while viewing an image (with the menu: File > Thumbnails).
    Additionally, you can start the thumbnail viewer directly with a file link, that contains the command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs

With WIN10, you need admin rights to start IrfanView and to write to the .INI-files. Additionally it might help if you hit the button 'Default Apps' on the right side
    in the Properties dialogue at the entry 'Extensions'.
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

IV Newbie
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Responses to various points:

As far as I know there is no such file as thumbnails.exe.
    You can start the thumbnail viewer with 't' while viewing an image (with the menu: File > Thumbnails).
    Additionally, you can start the thumbnail viewer directly with a file link, that contains the command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /thumbs
    Though I was not looking for an executable file, I was not aware of the way to invoke it. I will look into this.

Did you install from the Windows App store or from the downloads on the IrfanView site?
    How did you install the program? For all users or for current user only?
    Installed from the downloads on the IrfanView site.
    Installed for all users.

Your installation seems to have problems writing to i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini
    With WIN10, you need admin rights to start IrfanView and to write to the .INI-files. Additionally it might help if you hit the button 'Default Apps' on the right side
    in the Properties dialogue at the entry 'Extensions'.
    I assume problems writing to the .ini files is a symptom of the point about admin rights.
    Access to i_view64 is via a shortcut. Both the shortcut and the program are set up to run with administrator rights. The invocation of the program has been set up in the C:\ProgramData\irfanview directory. My administrator login has been given full control of this location.

I do not really understand privileges, and determining what is needed. I have set up ProgramData, but I have not set up equivalent accesses in %AppData for any user. Do I need to do this?
    Could you also please expand on your comments about Default Apps. Which program are you referring to? IrfanView is set up as the default app for photo viewing. Is this what you meant?

Thanks

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Walton View Post
    Access to i_view64 is via a shortcut. Both the shortcut and the program are set up to run with administrator rights. The invocation of the program has been set up in the C:\ProgramData\irfanview directory. My administrator login has been given full control of this location.
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView is the usual place to install IrfanView.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

@ Bhikkhu Pesala: This is only true for IrfanView 64bit. I assume you just forgot to mention it. For IrfanView 32 bit the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView.
    @ Chris Walton: Do not install any program to C:\ProgramData. As the name of the foldes says, it is for (internal) data of installed programs, not the programs themselves.
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

IV Newbie
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Kuki Dent View Post
    @ Bhikkhu Pesala: This is only true for IrfanView 64bit. I assume you just forgot to mention it. For IrfanView 32 bit the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView.
    @ Chris Walton: Do not install any program to C:\ProgramData. As the name of the foldes says, it is for (internal) data of installed programs, not the programs themselves.
    I uninstalled IrfanView, and re-installed it using the defaults, and setup for a single user only, rather than all users. This did not solve the problem, but did make it easier to see the cause of the problem. I was trying to set the image size on startup using the Options->Preferences/Settings menu rather than the View->Display options (window mode).

Using this command line enabled me to use the thumbnail view.

Thank you for the assist.

Thread Information