Thread: Need Some Help With Finding Icons From Irfanview

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Red face Need Some Help With Finding Icons From Irfanview

Hello, I recently installed Irfanview and a few icons that showed up in the About section really caught my eye for how simple and nice they looked. I really love old pixel art like this, and I wondered if anyone knew if more existed out there like these. I tried using Google reverse image search, and wasnt able to find anything. I hope someone out there can help, and I hope that this is relevant enough to support that it warrants being posted in this section. Imgur links are posted below showing what I talk about.

Edit: Specifically, I am wondering if these images were made by ifranview developers themselves, or if they come from some kind of icon/avatar set. If they are made by ifranview, I am simply wondering if anyone knows of 32x32 or similar size images in a similar style, and if they are from some set of images I would love to know where they came from and if they are any other sets that you know of. Thanks for all of your help.

https://imgur.com/LA264pL
    https://imgur.com/con6jq0
    https://imgur.com/J9PONRS
    https://imgur.com/mF3SMa6

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

You can use a program like @iconsushi to view and extract the icons from the program executable. I presume they were made 20 years ago by the program author. Modern programs don't have such outdated icon sets.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thanks for the info, I am not interested in extracting these icons, as I already have them, but more so finding more in this sort of old style. I guess ifranview forum isnt the best place to ask for that, but the icons that originally inspired me to search for more came from ifranview.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

You don't need a special software to extract icons from an .EXE or .DLL file, IrfanView can do that as well.
    Just open the .EXE or .DLL with IrfanView, which will then show the icons contained in the .EXE or .DLL. With this you can save each icon as a separate file.
    Personally I like these icons more than the cold and technical modern ones.

@SirRedEdge: Look for icon sets named Nuvola or Tango, these are relativly 'old fashioned'.
    Win 10/64 Home v1909 IrfanView 4.54/32
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

I use Resource Hacker to extract and, even more usefully, change program executable's icons. More sophisticated and consequently less noob friendly than @iconsushi but interesting to learn about that program which I'd never heard of before. So thanks for that.

On the OP's quest for similar images you can trying looking through Windows own icon sets some of which use a similarly simple style. View them using Resource Hacker or that other tool. Alternatively use Windows icon change tool on any desktop shortcut: Properties > Change Icon button then Browse to the locations below to see what embedded icons they contain:-

WinXP 32bit

C:\WINDOWS\System32\:-

\imageres.dll
    \moricons.dll
    \msgina.dll
    \msxml3.dll
    \ntbackup.exe
    \pifmgr.dll
    \progman.exe
    \wmsui32.DLL
    \WpdShext.dll
    \xpsp2res.dll
    \zipfldr.dll

Win7

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 or System32 32/64bit:-

\shell32.dll
    \accessibilitcpl.dll
    \ddores.dll
    \gameux.dll
    \imageres.dll
    \moricons.dll
    \mmcndmgr.dll
    \mmres.dll
    \netcenter.dll
    \netshell.dll
    \networkexplorer.dll
    \pifmgr.dll
    \pnidui.dll
    \sensorscpl.dll
    \setupapi.dll
    \wmploc.dll

Must also mention the excellent "Professional" icon creation program: IcoFX. You can use it for free for a trial period but after that it has to be paid for.

Alternatively just create your own similar icons use free to use clip art and IrfanView to edit/colour them as required. The attachment here is a 256x256 BMP of a free to use clipart fish modified using IrfanView (red background and fisheye effect).
    Attached Images Attached Images

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thanks for the info guys, I will check out those websites and look within windows for more icons. I was thinking about creating my own as well, since a 32x32 image is only so complex.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

Last Windows versions to have pixel art icons were Windows 2000/Me. Only leftovers remained in XP and later. You might like BeOS icons. They all have a distinct corner perspective though.

Thread Information