Save as Irfanview JPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Save as Irfanview JPG?

I have a new Windows 10 Pro pc and installed IrfanView 64, version 4.54 64-bit. (My IrfanView profile says ver 4.51 since 4.54 wasn’t listed.) I also have IrfanView on my old Win 7 Pro pc, version 4.50 64-bit.

When I right-click on a web photo to save it to my HD, the small “Save as type” window says “IrfanView JPG File” (on my Win 7 pc Save as type is “Jpeg File”). I can’t figure out why it wants to save as an “Irfanview JPG File” instead of just “JPG File.” The only other alternative offered in the drop down menu is “All Files.”

Irfanview is not my default program for viewing jpegs or for anything else. I’m concerned that an IrfanView JPG file might somehow be different from a non-IrfanView version of the JPG. I searched the web and this forum for an answer about this but couldn’t find anything. Can anyone tell me why it wants to save as an “IrfanView JPG File”, and how I can get it back to saving as just a JPG? Thanks.

No such issue here. My best guess is that your browser is getting the MIME type from the server.

Can you post a link? What do you see when you right-click to save the Sunset image on my page?

If you save the file as an “IrfanView JPG File” then double-click to open it, does it open in IrfanView or in your chosen default program for JPG files? How is it identified in Windows Explorer? IrfanView is set as my default for opening JPG files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG Files.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	83368
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.02.2020, 10:14 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      No such issue here. My best guess is that your browser is getting the MIME type from the server.

Can you post a link? What do you see when you right-click to save the Sunset image on my page?

If you save the file as an “IrfanView JPG File” then double-click to open it, does it open in IrfanView or in your chosen default program for JPG files? How is it identified in Windows Explorer? IrfanView is set as my default for opening JPG files.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5731[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with MIME types, but my browser is Chrome version 80.0.3987.87.

As for posting a link, are you asking for a link to a photo I've tried to download? I could of course do that but the issue I'm having happens with every photo I've downloaded, and I've tried a bunch from different websites. When I right-clicked on your sunset photo and highlighted Save Image As, I got the same result - Save as type: IrfanView JPG File. I checked the Properties for the saved sunset photo and the Type of File just says JPG File.

The sunset photo opens in Windows photo viewer. I checked my list of default apps and Photo Viewer is listed for opening photos. The photo is identified in Windows Explorer by its file name - Sunset 75.

I hope I answered all your questions. Please let me know if I misunderstood something.

Comment

At least we have eliminated some external causes. The difference is probably in a Windows registry setting.

The file itself is not changed by a name in a dialogue, and if the file opens in your chosen viewer there is nothing worth fixing. If it bugs you, maybe someone with more knowledge can diagnose the problem.

You could try uninstalling IrfanView, then reinstalling it.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

When IrfanView is installed in WIN10, it adds - among a lot others - these entries to the Registry:
          Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView
          Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.jpg Standard REG_SZ IrfanView JPG File
          Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Irfan View
          Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Irfan View.jpg Standard REG_SZ IrfanView JPG File

This may be different from older Windows versions, where another description of .JPG files is used.
          However, IrfanView does not write a different type of .JPG files than other applications. But other applications add a thumbnail of the image to the .JPG code,
          which might get lost when you save the file with IrfanView.
          Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
          Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks to both of you, Bhikkhu and Kuki, for your replies and help. Since the jpg file isn't changed by IrfanView, I'm no longer concerned about this and will move on. It does bug me a little but not enough to try to fix it. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X