Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't read file header, Unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't read file header, Unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found!

Recently my hard disk was like missing files and after long trying I managed to restore stuffs. But I can't open jpg photos. Windows Photos says it looks like we don't support this file format and irfanview says: Can't read file header, Unknown file format, empty/damaged file or file not found!
    It is really a depressing problem. All of my life's images and memories are inaccessible. I opened a image with notepad and saw that there is no thing like EXIF in the starting. I am attaching a sample file I can't open. I have looked in this forum for solution but it felt that for my problem it was necessary to start fresh and I also didn't find a good solution.

Any help will be much much appreciated. Someone please help. My attached file is zip because when uploading the original file it said that that file is not a valid jpg file. So in order to access the real file, you need to rename the zip file by removing the .zip extension.
    Attached Files

I can't help you much if any, but it's not likely an IrfanView problem. I uploaded your file to the following site (https://cyber.meme (DOT) tips/jpdump/#) and it appears there is info there, but I don't know how to view it. I tried loading the file into the GIMP image editor and it gives me the following message: "Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xe3 0x96". I don;t know what that means, but it appears the file header has changed. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Comment

This is not a jpeg file. It contains fragments from other files. Have the hard drive looked at by an expert if you want a chance to recover some of your files. If you decide to do so, disconnect the hard drive or don't use the computer with it to avoid overwriting parts of the data that may still be there. Do not attempt to save recovered files onto the same hard drive. It might be possible to recover some smaller files if they are not fragmented by using a tool that searched for specific file types ignoring the file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Picchi View Post
        is not a valid jpg file.
        It's damaged SketchUp file. You can't salvage anything useful from it.

Originally posted by n3306tx View Post
        "Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xe3 0x96". I don;t know what that means, but it appears the file header has changed. Sorry I can't be of further help.
        It's first bytes of this file.
        Last edited by RottenImp; 27.02.2020, 01:17 PM.
        IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

How did the OP recover the missing files originally?

Comment

Working...
          X