Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save vertical space by merging menu with toolbar or menu with status bar, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Save vertical space by merging menu with toolbar or menu with status bar, etc.

Monitors are now very wide but short vertically. Some photos are in vertical orientation, so vertical space is very precious. If we look at IrfanView, the main menu bar, the toolbar, and the status bar have only a few items. So, all them has lots of empty spaces on the right. One of the following could alleviate this...

(1)Merge the menu bar and the toolbar : I guess, Windows' in-built menu bar does not have this feature, so if one wants to implement it, one would have to implement custom menu item on the menu toolbar.

(2)Merge the status bar into another bar: The status bar does not have much of a functionality other than displaying some textual information. It probably is not that difficult to custom-draw those information on the empty are of the menu bar or the main tool bar.

(3)A vertical main toolbar.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	photoshop-toolbar.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	85291

(4)Custom border... to merge the title bar and the menu bar. A lot of famous applications are now doing this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oc19-jupyter_intellisense.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	85292

I am not saying those should be the only option. I know some people may like the current status as it is, so I am just suggesting customisation options for those who want such things.

Unlikely to happen in my opinion. There are requests more than ten years old for customising toolbars and menus.

Try the Shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+T. The program is fairly usable without the toolbar if you know the shortcuts, and use Access Keys for the menus,
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.03.2020, 06:31 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
    X