PCD conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCD conversion

I gather that the pcd convert/resize algorithm has changed. In an older Irfanview version it did a beautiful job of converting and upsizing. In the newest version I installed those upsized/converted PCD images are totally unusable now. Here's a comparison older conversion on the left:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	comparisons2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	85294

You seem to be using Photo Gallery.

What settings did you use in IrfanView to resample your images?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You seem to be using Photo Gallery.

What settings did you use in IrfanView to resample your images?
      Batch conversion, In the advanced button screen I first used the setting I had for the older version - tif file, long side 3072 pixels, clicked on Preserve aspect ratio and Use Resample function, 300dpi, After viewing the unsatisfactory results I tried various combinations of other check boxes. The results were all terrible. Ended up buying an app that does the job that Irfan used to do.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.03.2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

The photocd.dll that comes with IrfanView's plugins hasn't changed since 2009

49. PHOTOCD.DLL - This DLL is created by Kodak Eastman Company.
        It allows IrfanView to read large resolutions from a PhotoCD file:
        1536 x 1024 and 3072 x 2048 pixels
        from i_plugins.txt

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Something obviously changed as you can see in the photo comparisons I posted.

Comment

Nothing changed, but maybe your default settings changed?

What are your TIF save options? What are your resampling options? The advanced batch dialogue resampling uses the current resize options (Ctrl+R) if I remember rightly. Lanczos is said to be best, but I think it makes very little difference for downsampling. The TIF save options set to JPG, however, would make a big difference to file size and quality.

Again, compare file sizes using an earlier version and the latest version.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X