Windows Explorer default preview pane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Windows Explorer default preview pane

Irfan is my default viewer according to the Irfan flat cat image that shows in the Windows Explorer details view. I am accustomed to an image on right panel when I choose the preview pane. I cannot find a setting to establish Iran or any other viewer app to make the preview image appear.

Perhaps there has been a reset from the Windows 10 update to Windows 1909 (OS Build 18363.720).
    Further information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

In Windows Explorer, Select the View menu to enable the Preview pane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows Explorer Preview Pane.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	83393

In the IrfanView file open dialog, the preview is at the bottom of the dialog.

Name:	Preview Active.png
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	83394
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      In Windows Explorer, Select the View menu to enable the Preview pane.

In the IrfanView file open dialog, the preview is at the bottom of the dialog.
      Hi Bhikkhu Pesala

Thank you for your quick response. When I toggle the Windows Explorer preview pane, the image on the preview panel is merely the the Irfan View icon -- the red flattened cat. The JPG file itself is not shown. And in the Irfan View File Open dialogue the Preview active option is Xed.

In the past when I toggled the Windows Explorer preview pane the JPG file was shown on the right panel.

Thank you in advance for your next advice.

Spruce18b

Spruce18b
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.03.2020, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Unable to reproduce here. Perhaps a screen shot of the Explorer Window with the preview pane open and a JPG file selected will help.

Do you see the preview on the File, Open dialog?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Unable to reproduce here. Perhaps a screen shot of the Explorer Window with the preview pane open and a JPG file selected will help.

Do you see the preview on the File, Open dialog?
          Screen shot IfranWindowsExplorerPreviewPane.png shows only the Irfan icon in the preview pane. When the preview pane is not selected the preview pane is blank.

Screen shot IrfanPreviewPane.png shows that I have selected the preview option in the Irfan open file dialogue.

Please advise next step.

Thanks

spruce18b
          Attached Files

Comment

My earlier reply disappeared. Let me try again.

This looks like a Windows problem, not an IrfanView problem. Do you see any thumbnails when you use the icon at bottom right of the Windows Explorer window to show items as large thumbnails?

Name:	Large Thumbnails.png
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	83398

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu Pesala

Thanks for all your help. There is an option for seeing the contents of the preview window. Follow this long route to it:

Open Windows Explorer and activate the ribbon. Go to View>Options>click on little window that has tiny v's in it>View> uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails".

Thanks

spruce18b

Comment

Working...
              X