Making IV default to current folder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making IV default to current folder?

IV is great, but it has one quirk I've always found frustrating.

When I open an image, edit it, then click File > Save (or Save As), IV opens the folder of the previous image I worked with. Since I rarely edit more than one image at a time, this usually means it's a folder I was using the last time I used IV, and completely unrelated to the one I'm now working with.

IV is the only app I've ever used that does this. Maybe there's some esoteric reason it does this by default, but I can't imagine what it is.

Anyway, is there a way to have IV default to the current folder? You know, the one containing the image I've just edited (as wacky as that may seem)?

Thanks, A.

Oh, actually...

Oh, actually, I've just realized IV has a File > "Save (original folder)" command that corresponds to Ctrl+S (the standard "Save" shortcut). So I guess this just happens when you use "Save As..."

I got into the habit of using "Save As..." instead of "Save", because IV used to show the previously-worked-with folder with "Save", too. You must've fixed that.

I'd like "Save As..." to default to the current folder too, though. Maybe you could make that an option...? It's a standard Windows programming practice, as far as I know. Thanks, A.

Comment

This is unlikely to change. It would break the workflow of every regular IrfanView user.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

It is unusual, and can lead to mistakenly overwriting a file if the previous and current directories contain files with similar names.

In case you haven't noticed, in the "Recent folders" dropdown there is an item beginning with five asterisks ***** that is the current directory. It is easy to see without actually reading the text.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          This is unlikely to change. It would break the workflow of every regular IrfanView user.
          Indeed. That's why I was careful to phrase it:

Originally posted by Ander
          ...Is there a way to have IV default to the current folder? You know, the one containing the image I've just edited...?
          "A way to have". I'm not suggesting changing IV's default behaviour, but adding an optional, per-user setting for it, like IV's many other options—whose purpose, I assume, is to let all IV users adapt IV to their "workflow".

If this isn't an option (which is apparently the case), how about adding it? I can't be the only IV user who's good-naturedly put up with this, shall we say, eccentricity till now.

Originally posted by j7n View Post
          It is unusual, and can lead to mistakenly overwriting a file if the previous and current directories contain files with similar names.
          Sorry, but do you mean IV's current behaviour is "unusual", or the optional, more conventional behaviour I've requested is? I don't see how it could be the latter, as that's "usual"—my whole point.

In case you haven't noticed, in the "Recent folders" dropdown there is an item beginning with five asterisks ***** that is the current directory...
          Thanks, but I'd rather not fuss with "recent directory" commands just to save my current edit. If I disregard any "Do you want to overwrite the existing file?" messages, or have voluntarily turned off such messages, I've no one to blame but myself. That's a universal part of computing, not just of using IV. Thanks though!
          Last edited by Ander; 06.04.2020, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
            Indeed. That's why I was careful to phrase it:

"A way to have". I'm not suggesting changing IV's default behaviour, but adding an optional, per-user setting for it, like IV's many other options—whose purpose, I assume, is to let all IV users adapt IV to their "workflow".

If this isn't an option (which is apparently the case), how about adding it? I can't be the only IV user who's good-naturedly put up with this, shall we say, eccentricity till now.

In case you haven't noticed, in the "Recent folders" dropdown there is an item beginning with five asterisks ***** that is the current directory. It is easy to see without actually reading the text.
            Sorry, what's "unusual"? The way IV behaves now, or the optional, more conventional behaviour I've requested?

And thanks, but I'd rather not need to fuss with "recent directory" commands. I'd prefer the option of having IV behave like every other Windows app. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Comment

I see IrfanView's current behavior as unusual, and was agreeing with your observation. But it is unlikely we can persuade the author to make changes, and should rely on existing tools instead. XnView Classic also follows Irfan's convention by default, but there is an option under General -> File operations. That is a traditional Windows program with somewhat greater capabilities than IrfanView. FastStone Viewer has normal behavior as well.

For me a problem with the current behavior arises when I compress cover art of music albums. IrfanView opens another difectory containg cover.jpg disc.jpg artwork/ etc.: the same set of filenames. And I might not notice that I'm saving over another album's artwork.

If only Microsoft or Adobe were so concerned about workflow when they overhaul the GUI...

Questions about the Save function have come up before and go back several years.

Comment

Working...
              X