Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to scroll through folders with arrows, and still use mouse wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to scroll through folders with arrows, and still use mouse wheel.

I have searched quite a bit for answers.
    I am aware that I need to tick "View other files in folder(etc...)" in Properties/Settings/Browsing/Editing in order to use arrows to advance slides in a folder. However, doing so disables the ability to zoom with the mouse wheel.
    This is really odd, but okay.
    Ticking that box then means I need to use the keyboard and two hands in order to simply zoom in or out on a photo. It seems you can do either or with the mouse, but not have both enabled simultaneously.
    I've really looked, am I the only one with this issue?

I would like for the toolbar arrows to work in being able to advance or go back on pictures in a folder.
    And, I would ALSO like the ability to use my mouse wheel to zoom.

I migrated to this from the awful Windows 10 viewer and like it so far, but without the utterly simple ability to navigate a folder full of pictures using only my mouse, irfanview, in all it's other glory, is useless.

I hope someone can help?
    Last edited by oatmeal769; 16.04.2020, 10:21 PM.

For me, mouse-wheel scrolls images and Ctrl+mouse-wheel zooms.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I am aware.
      I'd like mouse wheel to zoom, and toolbar arrows to scroll images.
      I don't think I should have to use both hands to do such a simple thing. I'd like to use my other hand to take notes.

Comment

You can use keyboard only:

+/- for zoom
        arrow keys for next/previous

Voilà, one hand only !

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
          You can use keyboard only:
          Voilà, one hand only !
          Ya, I get that. I should have specified my MOUSE hand.
          So, again, does anyone know of a way to get the mouse wheel to zoom, and toolbar arrows to scroll images?

Comment

Another option is to get a configurable mouse and assign the scroll wheel left/right tilt to zooming.
            It worked for me on IrfanView with my previous computer. I had forgotten about it until now.
            Mine was a logitech, there may be other brands.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Well, that is an idea, I have one of those wheels that clicks left-right as well... Thanks for the suggestion.

I still think it's ludicrous that an otherwise excellent and feature-rich photo viewer doesn't have such a blindingly simple option. Nor why setting those configurations as such forces a choice between the two...

Comment

Nope. No change doesn't work. Mouse wheel re-set, but Irfanview won't accept it.

Does anyone know of a way to get the mouse wheel to zoom, and toolbar arrows to scroll images?

Comment

Totally agree with oatmeal769. I'm used to zooming with the scroll wheel in various other applications and just can't understand why using the wheel to zoom should disable arrow keys and even the arrow buttons in the toolbar for moving between images.
                  I use Irfanview to look at images when building a model so I often switch between images and zoom in and out to see details. At that time the keyboard is off the desk, having just the mouse to have some extra work space.

Comment

Disable scrolling in folders, then open the Thumbnail viewer (shortcut T) and double-click or D&D to switch images.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                    X