I want Default Image Icons, not the Red cat from Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want Default Image Icons, not the Red cat from Irfanview

Overwriting the default image icons with this red smear is aggravating, but I can't seem to find any way to get them to revert.

Any insight? This is a deal-breaker for me.

See Settings, Extensions, Icons. There is a limited choice of low colour icons from decades ago. With the help of a plugin you can choose others.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The Icons available are other silly ones.

Is there no way to just keep the Windows standards?

Comment

No, not if you've associated all image file types with IRFV.

I find a graphics' program doing this irksome too because identifying the image file type by the icon is far quicker than checking other ways and if they're all associated with the same program they all display the same icon.

You can remove the association easily enough in IRFV > Options > Set File Associations but unless Windows 10 has changed the options you have available you may have to restore the original ones by re-associating each image file type individually with Windows picture viewer.

You may even get problems with that because when I last made the mistake of installing another graphics program which had the make that program the default image viewer box pre-ticked I had a hell of a search restoring the original Bitmaps icon. Windows icon files seem to contain a number of unused ones and for some reason may apply a different one by default.

Personally the only file type I associate directly with IRFV are GIFs at MS decided that the Windows picture viewer since Windows XP should have that inherently useful feature of displaying animated GIFs removed (why?!!!). Even then I've replaced the default squished moggie with the Slideshow icon using Resource Hacker.

Comment

I found a user-made IrfanView Icons Plugin. Try that. I could not get them to work even by running IrfanView as admin.

I am happy with using large icons in Windows Explorer, which shows thumbnails of the images.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            I found a user-made IrfanView Icons Plugin. Try that. I could not get them to work even by running IrfanView as admin. ....
            I was trying to remember that one. I installed it many years ago and it worked with the IV version back then. However I found I didn't like the icons and reverted to the standard IV icons.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              I found a user-made IrfanView Icons Plugin. Try that. I could not get them to work even by running IrfanView as admin.

I am happy with using large icons in Windows Explorer, which shows thumbnails of the images.
              For me its not usually the image itself which is the problem as regards identification it is actually the image file type that is more important for the sort of purposes I use IRFV. I need to be able to distinguish between JPG, PNG, BMP, ICO and TBN images and so its far easier if they all use different icons.

Comment

Working...
              X