No announcement yet.

Save As Dialog jumps to different file types as user types filename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Save As Dialog jumps to different file types as user types filename

irfanview 4.51 through 4.54, win 10, 64bit, 8 cores, multi-gigs of memory, yada yada.

.....user wants to save image (in this particular exercise, image was screen capture)

. user selects File Save As
    .... "Save Picture as" dialog appears, jpg as default

. user attempts to enter file name "leisa"
    .... as user types, filetypes change (which changes filename), sometimes several times, making it difficult/impossible to enter file name
    .... filetypes seem to be chosen based on whether or not a file or folder in that directory starts with the same character(s) for that file type
    .... example: file name box is empty, user types in L - filetype shifts to PDF because user has a file in the directory that starts with L (in this case, Le Petit Prince.pdf)

workaround: instead of typing first character of filename FIRST, enter space first, then enter the rest of the filename, and finally remove the starting space.

video is available on request. it's entertaining, and annoying.
    thanks

Unable to reproduce here. You must be giving focus to the Save as type control on the dialogue somehow. Alt+t would do that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Save as type.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	83409
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 20.04.2020, 08:34 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Unable to reproduce here. You must be giving focus to the Save as type control on the dialogue somehow. Alt+t would do that.
      not sure how entering text into a dialog box could, WHILE ENTERING THAT TEXT, cause "save as type" to jump from one format to another... from time to time, i do type in unicode values (like alt-0191 - ¿), but an alt-t while i'm typing, nope.

let me know where i can send the video. it really is strange, and has persisted through several versions on this box. i've even rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled. this problem recently started; i'm a long-time lover/user of irfanview...

Comment

A video is rarely useful, but if it is small you could zip it and attach it.

Screen shots might be more useful. Printscreen and crop the result, then save as PNG.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          A video is rarely useful, but if it is small you could zip it and attach it.

Screen shots might be more useful. Printscreen and crop the result, then save as PNG.
          not sure what a screenshot will tell you, given that this is more of a real-time problem (action/reaction) than a static "well, blue for some reason looks red in this photo" kind of problem. i've created a dropbox link for the video. sorry about the size, but it is only 23ish seconds long. this should easily point out the problem. no control keys were typed, no alt keys were typed, etc. just LEISA. my hands never left my wrists

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Comment

As I suspected it did not help. I watched the video on loop, but still cannot reproduce the problem.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.04.2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Maybe it is an unexpected interaction with Windows 10 where the common save dialog box has been changed. That is why I distrust all new software. Things break. Looks like IV is trying to help by picking the file type but in a way that is not very compatible across systems. If I pick one of the existing names (.flac, .txt), it just appends the chosen file type extension (.jpg) at the end of it.

Since nobody can reproduce the problem on their systems, maybe you can write a letter to the developer (Help -> About), assuming he doesn't know anything what has been written here. Maybe he can add a check to disable the autoswitch.
              Last edited by j7n; 21.04.2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

This is a very longstanding issue Irfanview has had on Windows 10

Steps to reproduce:

1. Check if autocomplete is enabled for save dialogs in Windows. Open the Start menu, type a search for "Internet Options", and open the options. In the Advanced tab, there's a checkbox for "Use inline Autocomplete in File Explorer and Run Dialog":

When that box is checked, you get autocomplete in save dialogs for every Windows program, including Irfanview (below left). When it is unchecked, you don't get autocomplete in any programs (below right).

Enable autocomplete, and save the setting. (If the box was already checked, try unchecking and clicking Apply, then rechecking and clicking Apply.)

2. Create an empty test folder and put two image files inside, named test1.png and test2.jpg. The different filetypes are important.

3. Open any image in Irfanview. Go to File -> Save As, and navigate to the test folder from Step 2.

4. Change "Save as type" to JPG:

5. Now, in the "File name" field, try typing "test3"

When you start typing, the autocomplete function detects the first partial match in the folder (test1.png), and offers you that suggestion. Two problems occur at this time:
                1. The "Save as type" field automatically changes to PNG, instead of staying on JPG like you chose in Step 4.
                2. The filename becomes fully highlighted while you're still typing, and gets nuked by the rest of your typing. Thus you end up with something like "est3" or "st3" instead of "test3" by the time you're done typing.

That's what's happening in the video that travelgirl uploaded earlier. (If you have a folder with lots of different image types/names inside, things get pretty wild because autocomplete will keep finding partial matches as you type, and nuking your progress each time it finds a different filetype.)

6. For comparison, change the "Save as type" to PNG and try typing "test3" again. In this case, the autocomplete works correctly because the first partial match (test1.png) happens to match your chosen filetype (PNG).

7. Now retry Steps 3-5 with MS Paint. You will find that autocomplete works correctly even if the first match is a different filetype. It does not change your chosen filetype or disrupt your typing.

This bug occurs only in Irfanview, and no other programs. I love Irfanview and use it daily, but this has been a constant annoyance for me since Windows 10 came out in 2015 (>_<).
                Last edited by MechR; 25.04.2020, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MechR View Post
                  This is a very longstanding issue Irfanview has had on Windows 10

Steps to reproduce:

1. Check if autocomplete is enabled for save dialogs in Windows. Open the Start menu, type a search for "Internet Options", and open the options. In the Advanced tab, there's a checkbox for "Use inline Autocomplete in File Explorer and Run Dialog":

When that box is checked, you get autocomplete in save dialogs for every Windows program, including Irfanview (below left). When it is unchecked, you don't get autocomplete in any programs (below right).

Enable autocomplete, and save the setting. (If the box was already checked, try unchecking and clicking Apply, then rechecking and clicking Apply.)

2. Create an empty test folder and put two image files inside, named test1.png and test2.jpg. The different filetypes are important.

3. Open any image in Irfanview. Go to File -> Save As, and navigate to the test folder from Step 2.

4. Change "Save as type" to JPG:

5. Now, in the "File name" field, try typing "test3"

When you start typing, the autocomplete function detects the first partial match in the folder (test1.png), and offers you that suggestion. Two problems occur at this time:
                  1. The "Save as type" field automatically changes to PNG, instead of staying on JPG like you chose in Step 4.
                  2. The filename becomes fully highlighted while you're still typing, and gets nuked by the rest of your typing. Thus you end up with something like "est3" or "st3" instead of "test3" by the time you're done typing.

That's what's happening in the video that travelgirl uploaded earlier. (If you have a folder with lots of different image types/names inside, things get pretty wild because autocomplete will keep finding partial matches as you type, and nuking your progress each time it finds a different filetype.)

6. For comparison, change the "Save as type" to PNG and try typing "test3" again. In this case, the autocomplete works correctly because the first partial match (test1.png) happens to match your chosen filetype (PNG).

7. Now retry Steps 3-5 with MS Paint. You will find that autocomplete works correctly even if the first match is a different filetype. It does not change your chosen filetype or disrupt your typing.

This bug occurs only in Irfanview, and no other programs. I love Irfanview and use it daily, but this has been a constant annoyance for me since Windows 10 came out in 2015 (>_<).
                  Wow. I haven't been in "internet options" for years. Once I set it, it's no longer important.
                  Thank you for the thorough repro steps (and the why's)... it has me wondering why irvanview cares about the filetype as you are entering text into the filename field, and what other programs are doing that is so different. FWIW, i have yet to see the problem using irfanview 4.35... just tried to force it to happen, and it failed to fail: the example i tried autocompleted the whole filename, including the differing extension, but the fileTYPE remained jpg throughout. when the file was saved, it was example.gif.jpg, which works for me.

so, some code or behaviour changes in later versions is either broken, or the behaviour of the library underneath everything has changed. this may be why our Admin doesn't notice the problem; it only becomes noticeable when multiple image/video filetypes are located within the same folder/directory AND the name you want to save starts with a first character(s) that exist only in a different filetype.

Comment

After exchanging some emails with Irfan, I figured out a workaround I was missing

As noted previously, the "Use inline Autocomplete in File Explorer and Run Dialog" setting is what causes problems with Irfanview's save dialog. But I was reluctant to disable it, since that left me with no autocomplete at all. What I forgot is that there's another group of autocomplete settings under the Content tab in Internet Options. These are usually enabled by default, but I had disabled them on my computer without realizing they also affect save-dialog suggestions.

So, if you disable inline autocomplete and enable Address-bar autocomplete instead, Irfanview's save dialog gives you a dropdown list of suggestions as you type, without disrupting your typing. This does everything I need.

Comment

Working...
                    X