Don't compress executables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Don't compress executables

Hi. I very like your program and use she many years, but i have a great request. Pleace don't compress executables in next releases because after uncompressing they has invalid import data (lookup tables is absent), than makes image binding impossible. Recovery take away too many time.
    Last edited by FalseMaster; 29.04.2020, 02:28 AM.

I doubt if this will change. Irfan Skiljan has been distributing compressed executables for as long as I can remember. This is what it says on Wikipedia:

Software distributors use executable compression for a variety of reasons, primarily to reduce the secondary storage requirements of their software; as executable compressors are specifically designed to compress executable code, they often achieve better compression ratio than standard data compression facilities such as gzip, zip or bzip2[citation needed]. This allows software distributors to stay within the constraints of their chosen distribution media (such as CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or Floppy disk), or to reduce the time and bandwidth customers require to access software distributed via the Internet.

Executable compression is also frequently used to deter reverse engineering or to obfuscate the contents of the executable (for example, to hide the presence of malware from antivirus scanners) by proprietary methods of compression and/or added encryption. Executable compression can be used to prevent direct disassembly, mask string literals and modify signatures. Although this does not eliminate the chance of reverse engineering, it can make the process more costly.
    I don't understand what you mean by image binding. Contact Irfan Skiljan directly (see Help, About for his email) if you wish and let us know what he says
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

>I don't understand what you mean by image binding.

Comment

Working...
      X