Undo not active after file saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Undo not active after file saved

The undo function is disabled after the current edit is saved using Save As. The option in the Edit menu is greyed out as is the undo icon in the tool bar.

This prevents me from saving an editted image into separate files at different sizes which I always do. I resize as the last operation on the edit then "save as" into my output folder. Then undo the resize and resize again to a different size and "save as" with a different file name. This is no longer possible.

I am using Version 4.54 64 bit on a new build Windows10 machine.

- roddy.

The behaviour seems buggy. The undo toolbar icon is active after save as, but does nothing. Clicking on the image then greys out the icon.

A work-around is to use Reopen (Shift+R) instead of undo.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for your quick response and for promoting my post to a bug report. I suspected that this issue was introduced with the new multiple undo feature but as a new forum member I was cautious about meeting the criteria for a bug report.

The work around is fine and will allow me to continue using my well established workflow. Clearly though, the file should remain open following a "Save As" operation so that further versions can be created.

- roddy.

Comment

Please see the sticky thread on Reporting Bugs
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

On further use I have found that the Reopen work-around is not really a solution as it undoes all the edits not just the last one which is what Undo does. This could also be done by using the left and right arrow keys to move to another file and then back again without saving which will discard all edits.

As a temporary solution, I will install an earlier version which doesn't exhibit the problem.

Do I need to submit a bug report to Irfan as it says in the bug reporting thread or do you do this?

- roddy.

Comment

This is not as simple as it seems. This morning I installed IrfanView 4.32 (2012) which I have been using on my Windows 7 laptop. It does the same thing!!

It works perefctly OK on the Windows 7 laptop but disables the Undo function after a Save As operation on my Windows 10 machine exactly the same as version 4.54. The options are all set the same as far as I can tell on both installations. Mostly default but I set "Show full path in the title bar" and "Fit images to window". File handling options are all defaults.

As a simple check I tried another program which has an Undo function - Windows Wordpad. It does work correctly allowing multiple versions of a file to be created by successive Undo and Save As operations.

- roddy.

Comment

Working...
            X